• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paddington Street Aston

Hi Lyn, yes I've enjoyed our trip down memory lane and have viewed some interesting pictures of familiar places. My Avatar is a photo of the railway 'grassy bank' , as we called it and where we played, that ran at the foot of my yard in Shakespeare Rd Ladywood which became my home after Villa St until the redevelopment of 1968 so I am looking for memories of old Ladywood particularly Shakespeare Rd since the demise of Mac Joseph's excellent Old Ladywood site.
Cheers,
Colin

hi col..yes it was shame about macs ladywood site which was very good...shame that no one else could be found to take it over rather than let it go...have you put shakespeare road in the search box as we may have one or two photos and memories posted...

lyn

Last edited:
A couple more family shots with a Paddington Street connection. These were taken on the occasion of the Queens Coronation in 1953 and show some of my siblings enjoying the feast in Paddington Street, maybe Lyn would know which end of the street was taken over! At the table end on the right is my sister Iris, moving left is my brother Leslie, left of him is my cousin Terry and on his left is my brother John. In the second photo it looks like Iris has been crowned 'Queen' for the day.

Attachments

• Paddington St Coronation Party.jpg
    Paddington St Coronation Party.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Paddington St 'Queen'.jpg
    Paddington St 'Queen'.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
oh wow col i have waited years to see any coronation party photos for paddington st in the hopes i may spot our mom..dad or nan but no luck on these however i did have other rellies who lived at 3 other houses in paddington st who may well be on the photos trouble is i dont know what they looked like...if you have anymore would love to see them..i am almost certain it was taken on the same side as the outdoor probably not far from it...thank you its made my day

lyn

Last edited:
oh wow col i have waited years to see any coronation party photos for paddington st in the hopes i may spot our mom..dad or nan but no luck on these...if you have anymore would love to see them..i am almost certain it was taken on the same side as the outdoor probably not far from it...thank you its made my day

lyn
It's definitely at the Guildford St end. I had a photo taken at the other end that was excellent quality, showing many kids and parents on the street. Unfortunately I was unable to locate it.
Dave A

Absolute pleasure Lyn, so glad they mean such a lot. Hope you can find any other relatives that may get recognised by someone. I know you were only born around that time but people didn't move about so much in those days so some faces may become familiar the more you look at them. If I do come across any thing else I'll be sure to post.

Colin

It would make sense that it was the Guildford St end, my Aunt ran the outdoor on the corner and the little lad in the front with the skull and crossbones cap, my cousin Terry Flint is her grandson.

I found this image by accident yesterday, the young lady is Minnie Lavinia Alder, she was born at #27 Paddington Street in 1908 and sadly died at #45 Paddington Street in 1933. I don't think the picture was taken in Paddington Street but the story of the family is both sad and poignant for this era.
Louisa Tennant (1868-1949) married Alfred Alder in 1887.
They had 10 children with the last 3 of these born in Paddington Street.
Between the years of 1917 and 1933 Louisa lost 4 of her children, not unusual I know if the children had been young, but these 4 were aged 25, 21, 22 and 25. In addition to these tragic losses, her husband also died in 1919.
I can't imagine how this lady would have coped with all this tragedy.
In 1939 Louisa was living at #58 Paddington Street, she died in 1949.
Just found this photo. I believe this is Paddington St. You can see Bellingers shop behind her. There was an Alder family that lived next door to the shop.
Dave A

Absolute pleasure Lyn, so glad they mean such a lot. Hope you can find any other relatives that may get recognised by someone. I know you were only born around that time but people didn't move about so much in those days so some faces may become familiar the more you look at them. If I do come across any thing else I'll be sure to post.

Colin
thanks colin..yes i was born in the nov of 53 the coronation was in june so although i was there i wasnt if you get my meaning :D maybe our mom being pregnant with me decided against the excitement of the day

lyn

Just found this photo. I believe this is Paddington St. You can see Bellingers shop behind her. There was an Alder family that lived next door to the shop.
Dave A
The Alders lived at #59. It states in the original post that Louisa Alder was living at #58 and died in 1949. Either the numbers are wrong because #58 was bombed out during the war, it became our peck. Maybe she moved somewhere else.
Dave A

colin if you go to post 231 you will find a selection of my family photos..unless you have already seen them

lyn

A great selection of family photos Lyn, as they say 'every picture tells a story ' Those of us who were brought up in the inner city never had much in the way of material things but we had the love of family and community spirit because we were all in the same situation. It proves it because sites like this bring out our desire to rekindle those far off times, if they meant nothing to us then we wouldn't be bothered. Because we were only children then we only have snapshot memories but now as adults we chase those missing pieces of the jigsaw.

Colin

A great selection of family photos Lyn, as they say 'every picture tells a story ' Those of us who were brought up in the inner city never had much in the way of material things but we had the love of family and community spirit because we were all in the same situation. It proves it because sites like this bring out our desire to rekindle those far off times, if they meant nothing to us then we wouldn't be bothered. Because we were only children then we only have snapshot memories but now as adults we chase those missing pieces of the jigsaw.

Colin
well said...i could not agree with you more

lyn

Back