• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

'Out work'

I would say your quite correct Bob. There were some houses that did have the chain/nail making forge in the back garden. In the Black Country Museum, there is a brass foundry with a pit furnace in a back garden of a back to back house.

I appreciate that the title of this images is chain making, but nail making was done in exactly the same. Its quite a nice historical context.View attachment 153201
That is a truly amazing picture you have posted! Any idea on location and whether those buildings were purpose built for manufacture or were just out of use farm buildings perhaps? I used to visit Palmers Chain in that area, it was a privilege to go into the factory and it was said they made the anchor chain for the Titanic!

That is a truly amazing picture you have posted! Any idea on location and whether those buildings were purpose built for manufacture or were just out of use farm buildings perhaps? I used to visit Palmers Chain in that area, it was a privilege to go into the factory and it was said they made the anchor chain for the Titanic!
I only know it maybe Cradley Heath. It seems a lot of nail making shops were based there. Quarry Bank is a place often associated with nail making. It’s bit hard to say if they were purpose built, I suspect some were and other were possibly adapted outhouses.

I have completed my tile panel in memory of my Dudley nail making ancestors. I have now discovered that two of my Great Aunts were also nail makers. As well as my Great Grandmother. The map is from the 19th Century. The drawings are based on old drawings found online. I have applied for copyright to base my drawings on the originals, But only found one owner. That being Sedgley Manor. As yet they haven't responded.
Outstanding work John...........A very important part of history & yours!

Back