• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our parents over the years.

One more.

This was dad at school standing in front of the teacher. The school was St Mary's RC in Hockley. He did tell me that he hated his time at school.

Terry

brilliant terry..you are so lucky to have your dads class photo..i havnt even got one of my own school days.....:(

lyn:):):)

Thanks Lyn. I found it just after mom died, I showed it to dad but he could'nt remember it so I took it home. I would'nt let dad have it as he had a habit of throwing things away especially photos. I just wish I had some of the pictures here now,there were some good ones. But like dad I was'nt that bothered about them at the time.How I regret that now. Especially one photo of my first marriage, it was the only picture of almost all my entire family.

Terry

Last edited:
What fantastic photo,s hanco the school one is grt and your parents were very hansom
well done you! for rescuing them.regards Derek

terry at least you have still got some lovely photos.....some folk have none at all...like i said i have posted quite a few of what i have but wont post them again on this thread as they are still on the forum under my family pics....i do find it strange though that as far as i know we have not got any school photos...mind you that may be a blessing in disguise for me...i had short hair in those days and i looked more like a boy..lol

lyn:):):)

Terry most of mine were in two biscuit tins and it took a while after mom died for me to go through them. My mom lied to my dad about her age for some time as there was a ten year age difference. Guess by the time she owned up it was too late as he had fallen in love with her by then. This is mom with my brother. Jean.

Have only just noticed the monkey on the bench and I think someone started a thread about these. Jean.

Terry most of mine were in two biscuit tins and it took a while after mom died for me to go through them. My mom lied to my dad about her age for some time as there was a ten year age difference. Guess by the time she owned up it was too late as he had fallen in love with her by then. This is mom with my brother. Jean.
:) That is a lovely story Jean,did she tell the porky forever IE on the marriage cert? Derek

Derek no but mom said dad was not amused as his palls called him a cradle snatcher. I suppose that is another old saying too. Jean.

My dad was a rover scout in the smethwick area,that's him far right at the back,he was a butcher as i said before, this is him outside bywater Coventry rd Small heath,and the other one,s outside church in Crowborough Sussex.
happy days nice photo of your mom Jean..Derek

What fantastic photo's everyone arn't we lucky? Another one of my dad or his brother. I am not too sure but it's such a lovely photo I couldn't resist. Jean.

Jean i wonder what it was about sailor suite,s i have a photo of me on my album,
and you seem to see a lot from way back when,wonder why?
Derek

Lovely photos everyone, it just makes me want to join in! Here's a photo of my mum, Lily Sheldon, in the roaring 20's. Graham.

lovely photos..derek...jean and graham...where would we be without them....

jean..adorable one of dad or uncle...

lyn:):)

Lovely Graham and Derek and yes Lyn we are so lucky after reading other members posts about how their's were cleared out for one reason and another. I am pretty sure that is uncle george and not dad but you are right Derek the navy suits were in for some reason. Love to know why. Jean.

Hi graham lovely photo of your mom,it has come out on the forum so well,trendy dresser for the day. love it regards Derek

Can't quite read what it says Ray. Graham I loved the hats my aunts wore but mom was not a hat person and I can't ever remember her wearing one. I hate wearing them too. Like mother like daughter. Jean.

I will look on the backs of some of my older ones later as I know some were taken in Summer Lane. Jean.

Paul's & May Jean

I had a good look on the internet no luck yet Ray.

Thanks for looking Alf.
Sorry Jean dunno how to delete,but then,I only ever made one mistake,I thought I was wrong,but I wasn't.

Just found this one of my Mom at the back of an old album. I think it was taken around 1937.

Thanks for that Judy.Love the photo.of your mom,another well dressed good looking girl.My dad said there are so many studio photo's.around because people were bored on a Sunday with nothing to do,so they would go and have their photo.taken.
He said they always went to Jeromes,I think, it was in Martineau St.

That's lovely Judy many of my old photo's were taken on the garden bench. Old Mowhawk Have quite a few like your lovely photo of your mom standing against a tall stool or chair. Jean.

Back