• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Our childhood toys

sorry about the triplicate post. I used to make gunpowder from grass seeds.
The girls never played war. Or Stag or went in the murder tunnel. The mixed games we played were singing games, five stones, hopscotch, never tig I dont think, but we played Queenio Cokeyo Whose Got The Ballyo, in our case a Stick io. With my Brummie cousins. I never played it before so is it a Brummie game?

In the mid 50s I had a real tin helmet and an real army belt. Can't remember who gave them to me but, with my plastic machine gun, I was always fighting "the jerries" with my pals. These days I am a 1940s re-enactor but I don't engage the enemy any more.
i still have a my m1 helmet:grinning: The weight of a World War II–era M1 is approximately 3 pounds (1.4 kg), including the liner and chinstrap. thats a lump to carry on yer head all day

We took metal working at Wattville Rd school I believe. Someone had the idea ( and most of us followed) of taking two steel rulers, you know the ones with the rounded end and hole in it. Put them alternately together so that one end had a hole and the other blank. We put a steel rivet in the hole, pulled the other back and fired the rivet across the workshop. Then we decided to heat the rivets to cherry red, yes big trouble ensued :cool:

I think it was "kiss chase" for us. Happy Days! :)
I still have a scar on my elbow after falling over whist being chased in the playground of St Joseph's, Sutton Coldfield during a game of Kiss Chase. It was 1957/8 and I was being chased by Robert Hurley we were both aged 7 or 8 and it was great fun as a playground game. We got into trouble with the nuns and I ruined the sleeve of my new Brownie uniform. I got playground gravel in my elbow and a telling off from Mum when I got home.
Carolann

We used to make matchbox catapults. We used an Englands Glory or Swan Vestas (worked best) match boxes a wooden clothes peg and a couple of rubber bands. It acted like a small gun shooting or slinging small items or sticks. It was not very accurate but if you got hit particularly in the face it would hurt!
We made wooden flat boats at school with a hardboard propeller with a rubber band turned to make it propel.

Back