• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

One favourite fact about Birmingham

My charlie I think we must be sisters? - My dad worked in the Jewellery Quarter prior to the WAR - How about that! - And you just lived around the corner from me went to the same school - Our parents married in the same St Mary's church where we were both baptised - Both nicked named 'Charlie' and both of us got hooked up with Maurice Bassett where does this end LOL

My favourite part of Birmingham is St Phillips Cathedral and the surrounding area. I remember coming out of work (Canon Street) in the mid-60s on dark winter evenings walking to the bus stop outside Lewis's with hundreds of starlings swarming around, all squealing and screaming. And yes, jobs were ten a penny. Happy days.

Brian come to our house our ponds and a flower pot are full of tadpoles and baby newts. I used to go with my mom to Brookvale park where there was a little stream and would fish with sticklebacks. We would go to sutton park weekends and have picnics. The photo's I think are somewhere else but for anyone who has not seen them they are of my mom dad and myself in Sutton Park. TTFN. Jean.

It is hard to isolate only one favourite fact about Birmingham but I reckon our once being "the workshop of the world" just about clinches it. Such a pity we can't still say that, but we should still be proud of what our forefathers did - they made us too didn't they? Brummies are, in the main, warm and friendly folk who like a laugh and still look out for the neighbours. I don't care if these rose tinted specs are a bit scuffed - I love being a Brummy.

Marmalade, every individual part about this great city's history is as important as all the other parts. I find it difficult to believe that England/Britain/Commonwealth and Empire would ever have been so great if there had never been a Birmingham and its people. I think the history of Birmingham is greater than its future will ever be.

Stitcher I think you're absolutely right. Birmingham played a very big part in both World Wars, especially the hard work and tenacity of Brummies in the WW2. It has a history to be proud of.

Shardender,I dont like to generalise but it seems that no one cares any longer, children are not taught to use their full potential at school. The Police are always too busy if you need them. The council and government lie to us whilst accepting obscene amounts of money in salary and expenses. Women are financially better off as single mums rather being married in a stable family relationship. Working brings no more rewards than being idle or abusing drugs or alcohol. A burglar in your house has more rights than you. We no longer make anything, no one has pride in themselves or in the way they behave. I could go on and on. I know not all people are the same but the number of people who do care is too small to have an impact on this countries problems. This is why I feel that our past has been far greater than our future will ever be.

Stitcher - It makes me feel very sad that you have such a negative view of Birmingham and presumably the UK. Our parents must have felt desperate after the war and into the 50's, many had very little money or luxuries. Things gradually improved and as ShardEnder says
jobs were ten a penny.
but that was all you earned as well. It amazes me how much I did on the 31 shillings and 4 pence a week that I earned when I left school.
Times have changed, we live in a global society and every country has changed.
Many of the members on the forum tell us of the great holidays they spend in different countries. Many have children and grand children that have had a very good education and they are proud of them. Our niece and nephews and great nieces and nephew have very good educations and we are very proud of them. They have had a far better education than the majority of children when I went to school. It was almost unheard of for children to go to University.
The past was a great time for Birmingham industrially but that knowledge has spread around the world now. I think the future for Birmingham is in tourism, people love the canal system and the historical sights which as you know are endless in and around Birmingham.
It is still a great city but different.:) Mo

Thanks Sakura I was begining to think people were talking about somewherre I didn't know. I adore the shops now they are easy to get to, and big and airy. The Town hall is just magnificent. Colmore Row hasn't changed much the buildings are beautiful. St Phillips church, Victoria Square, Chamberlin Square. The area around the NIA where Bingley Hall is lovely to walk around. I can remember this area being dingy and run down. The canals are wonderful and I recomend a boat trip. Broad Street had a lot of bad press but the city has this sorted, it's now one of the safest places for our youngsters night out. This comes from my husband who is in his sixties and workes there often. He has never had a problem he says most of the kids are just out enjoying themselves, he often has a banter with them. My favourite place is the Jewellery Quarter which a few years ago was so run down, now after the regeneration its a lovely place to visit and steeped in history. We used to moan at our parents talking about the good old days well were they that good. I think the biggest menace today is newspapers which is why I don't buy them.

Wendy, that is exactly what I mean. Everything you mentioned is from our past and nothing is ever going to exeed it in any way. If you would come with me I could take you to parts of Birmingham where you would not feel comfortable at all. I could take you to places where we would probably get mugged or assaulted. I was born here and have always lived in Birmingham. I was involved in bodyguard, door security and debt collecting from commercial debters. I was a Hackney Carriage owner driver and a bus driver in Birmingham. Believe me when I say that many parts of the city may look better, but there is no community spirit and most people do not know their neighbours. We may live longer and have more possesions but people are no happier now than we were 60 years ago.

Stitcher - Your post #67 gives the impression that things were good 60 years ago so why would you want people to be happier now than they were then.
We may live longer and have more possessions but people are no happier now than we were 60 years ago.
There have always been areas of Birmingham or any large city where one would be wise not to go alone or even with someone else. The jobs you had or have were predominately working with people who have problems
debt collecting from commercial debtors
In this field of work you were looking for the trouble makers and you would find them, there are always some around.
I was involved in bodyguard, door security
One of the major attractions Birmingham has over cities certainly in North America is as you say
Everything you mentioned is from our past and nothing is ever going to exeed it in any way
Some of the very old buildings have been replaced with magnificent buildings. Children have the opportunity to sing in the Symphony Hall, I know that because in 2005 we went to a concert and it was wonderful.
How nice to go to the Bull Ring and not walk through fish water running down the street and use the washrooms where someones job was to sit all day to make sure it was clean and no one vandalized or got in without paying 1 penny.
no community spirit
It is hard to have a community spirit in any large town, it is as it says a community and it takes sharing and involvement to develop it. What do you do in your community, do you volunteer for anything, maybe the Red Cross Blood Donor Clinics?
The Forum is a community and an example of how some people do not feel happy or part of the community, that is life and each individuals own problem.
As a child I used to have to go by bus and then walk with my mom to some of the jewelers around Vye St. My dad was a diamond setter so we picked up and delivered for him, on our visit there we couldn't believe how that area has improved. Another thing for Birmingham to be proud of.
Everything you mentioned is from our past and nothing is ever going to exeed it in any way.
Stitcher - What would you like to see developed? What is your vision of how Birmingham could be improved?
Count your blessings as I do every day, looking at the suffering from natural disasters alone without the wars in the world. We on the Forum are very lucky.:) Mo

Last edited:
We seem to have gone way off topic here. Perhaps the latter posts can be moved to a different thread comparing 'now and then'. This is supposed to be about what we love about Brum.

By the way - I agree with Wendy. There is a lot to be proud of with the revitalised biits of the city.

I will open a new thread about now + then, Thanks for pointing that out.

Sakura, I dont know how to open a new thread so I will reply to your last post then finish. Point 1. With all the toys lavished on kids today, how often do you hear them laughing and playing? Go down Broad St. at night and see girls with their boobs showing, their backsides up in the air while the are sick in the gutter, are they happy? Point 2. The debt I was talking about was more late payers than non payers. Did you know that this country presently owes more money to the World Bank than we have ever owed in our history? I read that somewhere. 3.Body Guard/security. This and the debt collecting were part time because like many other people, I had a full time job as well. The Body Guard/Security was looking after mainly American stars and they get protection in any country in the world. When I worked on doors the police were never involved because there was only ever minor scuffles. In the sixties The drifters once said that they really enjoyed coming to England because they did not feel worried about anything, but they felt we were going the same way as the states. How right they were. Symphony Hall is great, I have been to several concerts there. You said we cant have a community spirit in a large city. Well, the population of Brum is less now than it used be and we had a marvelous community spirit in the days when we had over 1,000,000. residents. Overall, my point was that Birmingham was the greatest city in the world for workers, industry and innovation. My own view is that the best has gone, I am entitled to that view. Another poster said how good all the new shops are. They are so good in Brum that places like Merry Hill are bursting at the seams.

Stitcher I know all about the "bad areas" and yes I do go there. My husband works all around Brum. He shops often in Washwood Heath and around Sparkbrook. If we don't have a posative attitude these places won't improve. You can't paint eveyone with the same brush some that live in these area's are scared because of the gangs so should we just ignor them. We had a member here who lived in Aston and hated it. There is a big regeneration project going on now in Nechells which I think is great. The work done recently by locals at Thimblemill Brook. This is what we should focus on. Lets face it most cities throughout the world have these probelm areas.

Wendy, I have to agree with you but I still maintain my view that the best has gone. You are trying to convert all the people who made it bad. When someone died in our road there was always a collection and every single house would contribute. No collections take place these days because as the older people died younger people moved in and they will not mix. I would like to believe you are right but you should remember that hundreds of thousands of people who cared have moved abroad to get away from it all.

Wendy, Whilst not being a favourite place of mine, Washwood Heath was a very decent place to live in the 40sto 60s. Sure the row housing was rather basic but newer houses were there towards the park. Then though employment in the trades was available in decent quantity. I noticed from a survey a year or two ago that Washwood Heath was rated the most depressed area in the UK because of ..lack of employment. This has to have an effect on an area and the behaviour of those living there. People need a future to work towards to be lifted up. I think that it may not be possible to see what that is now.

Rupert my husband grew up in this area. I know what you mean but they are trying to help their own. Where the bus garage was is now an Asian Hypermarket which employs a lot of local people down to lads in the car park my husband has been a couple of times and was very impressed.

A year ago my old school Canterbury Road celebrated its Centenary, together with my sister, and of course you Charlie, I went to school, had a look at how it is now, shed a few tears because it was still very much as we knew it, samll differences - the walls were painted in brighter colours. On the first of two visits we decided to walk from Canterbury Road, along the Broadway and down to Witton where we lived as kids. On the way there were lots of reminders of how it was and also some things had changed, But you know what, the children we had seen dressed in Victorian costume for the day, called to us as we walked. We had done something we were told not to do, walk alone in that area, as it wasn't safe, well I was back on my old patch and if I couldn't walk along there in day light then there is no hope left for this country.

Di Poppit,I am very proud of being born in Brum as were all my ancesters for many many years.I proudly drove for the Midland Red and WMPTE. I then became a Hackney Carriage owner driver and tourist guide for this great city. Sakura, I also did several years of charity work for underpriveliged children. From the response you would think I had said something terrible about Birmingham. I mentioned areas where I feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I did not name any area. Someone else said I was wrong and they named Alum Rock,Washwood Heath and Sparkbrook. I still maintain my opinion, Brum was the greatest City in the world for many things. Community spirit, engineering, innovation and famous people. I still feel that the best has gone and we must all strive together to try and get it back again. Space age shops and the number of students going to uni,only to drop out half way through their course will never regain our greatness. It will take years and much effort from everyone, but everyone must first realise what is wrong. I have many Great memories of Brum. One last point, when I looked after The Drifters while they were in Brum, one of them said they all loved coming to Birmingham/England because they felt safe. They also said we would lose that in a few years because we were making all the mistakes America had made.

the beutiful buildings ,and when i hear people from other places praising our great city .makes me proud to be a brummie. harley:D

Di; My friends and I also walked around the area that day and it wasn't a problem.
Earlier that year I decided to walk from the 16 bus, along Churchill Road, Putney Road, Livingstone Road in Handsworth and back along Birchfield Road, Perry Barr. My son was working at Thornhill Road nick at the time and was horrified that I was even contemplating it (in broad daylight)!
So I went anyway and didn't tell him, again I didn't feel at all apprehensive.
My son, being in the police, only saw the problems in the area - and the media have a lot to answer for I think.

My favourite places...I liked the ride out to the Licky Hills on the tram...the Fox And Goose area with its much nicer houses (never lived in anything like them)...the hurried walk up Cherry Street and across the church yard to Snow Hill (most mornings)...contrary to quotes from others I liked the aroma of the Fish Market and of course the old old Bull Ring (well how could you not).
But my favourite of all was probably where I spent many hours...all totally free, The old Central Reference Library. A magnificent building with internal features impossible to re-produce these days...destroyed. Why oh why! To do that and leave behind IMO (going to shock you now) the horror story of a Town Hall; completely out of place styling seemingly done on a budget many years ago, simply defeats understanding.

I like the thought that, because Birmingham was a major producer of buttons, its inhabitants were known as 'Brummagem Buttons'. Wish we still were!

I think we all have differnt memories of Birmingham,my particular ones were of all the lovely shops we had ,Lewis's, grey's The beehive, The co-op, Peacocks, Oswald Bailey's (The army & Navy stores) The scout shop in dale end,& off course the good old "rag market" where they sold every thing,the "Barrow Boy's" with all their shouts & cry's,Oh yes, dear old Brum has a lot going for it,could go on for ever But the one big fact? was how B'ham survived the bombing of our great city,and how we stood up to everything that happened during WW2

The fact that on the buses were posters advertising Birmingham as the city of 1001 trades.

We were down last weekend for a school reunion at King Edward's Camp Hill and as we passed the Longbridge I wondered if Brum still has 1001 trades? Perhaps they are different trades now to then.

As to the people and the accent, I am proud of being a Brummie and the kindness and helpfulness shown to me on here is great. Oh, and of course The Villa in the Premier League!

When I was about 10 or 11 Patty and myself would get on a no 11 outer circle bus and visit her aunt in Acocks green. Having tea and cakes we would get on another 11 bus that took us further on returning back at Witton. We would do the round trip and that was a cheap day out for us. Bye. Jean.

Gee Gee Jean, My mom and dad would give the three of us lads the bus fare and we would get the 11 at The York pub on Fox Hollies Road and go all the way round. On the way we used to collect car numbers and see how many different makes of car we could spot. Happy Days.

Maryt, We do not make many things these days. It makes me wonder what it will be like in fifty years time if we continue to slide downhill as we have in recent years. I will be dead and gone in a few years but I have great grandchildren and I worry about them.

Back