• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

On This Day 1940

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
On the night of December 10th morning of December 11th 1940 Birmingham suffered the longest air raid of the war..I ask you to spend a moment today to remember the 262 people killed and the 245 injured
Maggie

Thank you Maggie. I remember Mom telling me about it and my aunt lost her house but thankfully not her life! We will remember!

Most of my family at that time lived in that badly hit Sparkbrook, Balsall Heath area, how I didn't lose more relatives that night is nothing short of a miracle.

Thanks Maggie for reminding us to remember our loved ones and how they must have suffered on this night all those years ago.:cry:

I was living in Icknield Street Hockley at that time and can remember going to the Hockley Corporation bus garage with my sister and mother to shelter from the bombing.The bus garage was used by the local people as an air-raid shelter when I was there.Another time when we where coming out of the bus garage after an air-raid, I can remember us being straffed by a German fighter plane and had to duck into a shop door way the aviod being hit. Zippy.

Thank you for the link Len:) Zippy I remember the bus garage and never knew that it was used as an air raid shelter thanks

Maggie.
I can still remember, during one air-raid at night time,(could have been the one you mention). The bus garage was set on fire and a lot of buses were in the garage.Volunteers were asked for, to drive the buses out to save them from the raging fire.Most of them were driven out even though some were alight when being driven out and the driivers risked their lives to drive them out.

This is a reminder of some of the things Mom told me about the war,I still cannot imagine the horror of being bombed.When we are told of old people being afraid to have their heating on I feel angry ,their generation needs looking after they have seen enough hardship.Mary

Quite right Mary, and how they suffered after the war trying to bring us kids up in a very harsh time. 1 000 000 dollars per day was sent to Germany to help out those that did this to our parents! British justice?:(

Like you I was born after the war and mom and dad wouldnt talk about it the funny thing is mom always used to laugh about the time she was deposited on someones lap after an air raid in devon why is it that people of that generation can laugh at there misfortune had to be there I guess:)

Just decided to push this post to the top again..I ask each of you to spare a few mins today to think of those in Birmingham at the time

Sorry guys I am sending this to the top again cos I am sure a lot of our members would be interested

thank for the reminder maggie....what a terrible time this was and i will say a prayer for all the lives lost and those that were injured and also the families of those who lost their loved ones.....god bless them all....

lyn

Yes maggie I remember it, and the cold & damp from the cellar. No house the next morning staying with neighbours for a few days and moving to another House 2 doors away from our old one as the people were lucky enough to have friends outside Brum and had had enough of it.

The earliest memory I can really relate to is the sound of the Air Raid Siren and the very musty smell in the shelter. We were lucky, the closest bomb to our house was in the next road and my two half brothers returned home after the war. We can all give our personal theories on how communities and individuals survived the traumas of nightly air raids and the disruption and carnage they caused. People coped because thats what the vast majority of people were like then.

The memory I have of air raids is possibly of that night, mom and me always went into a neighbour's shelter and I think some one wanted to go to the loo so the candle had to be put out before the shelter door was opened and there was a dash up the garden path. Luckily the loos were of course outside.

My thoughts go out to all who lost loved ones that night. It was a hard time for everyone, there was only one way to cope and that was to get on with life, they did and showed the typical English backbone. It's still there and it takes trouble to bring it out. As we saw in London not too long ago.

Zippy,
I'm a bit surprised that you went for shelter in Hockley bus garage, because it was seriously damaged above ground on the night of 22-23 November. 19 buses were totally burned out, 4 were partly burned out, and 88 more were damaged.
On the other hand, there would have been cellars under the old ticket block where the original winding engine and gear for the cable tramway (1888-1911) would have been. Perhaps you went down there. Conditions were rough at that time. I spent one night at that time in the pedestrian tunnel under the railway between Grasmere Road and Ashwin Road, about 10 minutes walk away.
My gran lived close by, and I have most of her diaries, but unfortunately not her 1940 one. She kept a brief record of everything that happened, and I have most of them from 1941 until 1975, but that doesn't help on what happened in December 1940.
At that time I was only seven, but I did notice things and had a good memory.
While smaller towns lost much or most of the central area, Birmingham suffered more damage altogether, but it was spread over a greater area, and the authorities decided not to publicise it, as they did about the Coventry bombing.
Peter

hi peter...i never tire of reading your brillient posts:) thank you...how lovely that you still have your grans diaires....what fascinating reading they must make...shame they are not in print....

lyn

Back