• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oldbury Carriage Works

jdknole

proper brummie kid
My great grandfather worked at the Oldbury Carriage Works from at least 1911 onwards. He lived close by in Century Road. I believe his sons worked there as well and were probably still working there during WW1 when they were making tanks. Does anyone know where I can research this - are there any archives anywhere?

I have seen the photo and have downloaded the Oldtime Oldbury history. What I really want to do is confirm that my ancestors really worked at the site and what that actually did. Sourcing old payrolls would be a great help. Maybe Sandwell Archives will be able to help me. Thanks for the suggestions Pollypops

Hi - I can't help you with info unfortunately but my dad William Barnett of Handsworth was a foreman frame fitter there until his untimely death at the age of 48 in 1955 - brought a lump to my throat - all the best in finding your info - regards.

Back