• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old tv programmes

Hawii 5 O and my goodness Harry O. Rowan and Martins Laugh in. Not the nine oclock News, Budgie, Z Cars and what on earth was the next one called with Stratford Johns?
Lynda

Lynda, was it the Sweeney ?? I liked the old comedy shows, The Liver Birds, Robins Nest, Tony Hancock, and a programme with Charlie Drake and "Mr Pooh" forgot the title, London Paladium. I could go on. " Eric

I loved Robins Nest especially albert the one armed waiter!!! Loved Dallas & Dynasty, Roots & The Thorn Birds. Remember Petrocelli? A bit later in the 90's I loved The House of Elliot.

Macca

I am going back to my childhood when I used to watch the Appleyards. Loved the characters in it. My dad loved to watch Amos and Andy. Jean.

what about mary mungo and midge
anne of green gabbles
she was played by bernard braden daughter
whats my line

After Z cars Stratford Johns had his own series as 'Barlow'..

regards
Neville..

I am going back to my childhood when I used to watch the Appleyards. Loved the characters in it. My dad loved to watch Amos and Andy. Jean.

Stone me, Jean, can you really go back that far? I also remember The Appleyards, my old man's favourite programme. The old gran used to witter on about 'her nourishment'... Amos and Andy is highly non-PC these days, sad to say, but remembered with affection.

How about Quatermass And The Pit? That was a behind-the-sofa job for yours truly - genuinely scary. And the original series of Doctor Who with William Hartnell? I had to watch that before I went off to town on a Saturday night. Juke Box Jury - another must-see on Saturdays. And best of all (for me, at least) was Rugby League with Eddie Waring on Saturday afternoons. His commentaries were absolute magic!

Big Gee

Big Gee I was only a whiper snapper when the Appleyards were on but I had used to watch Quatermass at my nans and had nightmares after one which was called THE BRAIN. There was this pulsating brain and it made me feel so ill. If the kids of today watched it they would be in histerics. Jean.

Lets go back a little further The Cisco Kid and hie right hand man Pancho , The lone ranger and Tonto. i remember we used to be glued to a 9 inch Tele.Dek

You're dead right, Jean! I watched some Quatermass & The Pit on YouTube and the special effects (for want of a better description) were laughable. Nevertheless, it scared the wotsit out of me when I was a mere 9 years old.

Talking of scary, who remembers the original series based on the ghost-stories of M R James? One of those, 'The Ash Tree', gives me nightmares to this day.

Big Gee

Lets go back a little further The Cisco Kid and hie right hand man Pancho , The lone ranger and Tonto. i remember we used to be glued to a 9 inch Tele.Dek

"Hey Ceeeees-co! Hey Paaaaancho!" - remember it well. And the Lone Ranger - Clinton Moore and Jay Silverheels, if I remember aright.

And even before, how about Hopalong Cassidy with William Boyd, who was so old when the series was made in the late 1940's that apparently he needed help to get on his hoss!

Big Gee

Eric. I remember it now. It was Softly Softly. Later on there was also another series worth watching. Family at War.
Lynda

"Hey Ceeeees-co! Hey Paaaaancho!" - remember it well. And the Lone Ranger - Clinton Moore and Jay Silverheels, if I remember aright.

And even before, how about Hopalong Cassidy with William Boyd, who was so old when the series was made in the late 1940's that apparently he needed help to get on his hoss!

Big Gee

Spot on Big Gee you can,t beat the old uns. Dek

NO HIDING PLACE, I loved it.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV28B1_HAEs"]YouTube- No Hiding Place (Ask me if I killed her) Part 1[/ame]

I recall being in the 'Birmingham Eye Hospital' when I was only 9 but too tall for the childrens ward so had to go into the male ward. One of the nurses was talking to me about her favourite cowboy William Boyd. I said I preferred Hopalong Cassidy - when she stopped laughing she explained that they were one and the same.

Does anyone recall a programme that featured Bi-Planes It was set out in the desert if I recall correctly. I seem to think the baddies had some means of shooting a flame-thrower at following planes.

Nobodies mention Skippy he was so cleaver just a couple of squeaks and they would be off to rescue somebody buried down the mine. Dek

THE ARMY GAME. Brilliant-
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srVEFjPQV_Y&feature=related"]YouTube- the army game[/ame]

Pete said Robin Hood was a pie and chips night for the family. Richard Green played Robin. There was also Billy Bunter and does anyone remember Mick and Moferenski [that don't look right]. Charlie Drake played the one. Fanny and Johny Craddock and oh my goodness Fannies lipstick. Jean.

Does anyone remember the epilogue on last thing at night?. I can't but Pete can. Must be his age. Jean.

Pete said Robin Hood was a pie and chips night for the family. Richard Green played Robin. There was also Billy Bunter and does anyone remember Mick and Moferenski [that don't look right]. Charlie Drake played the one. Fanny and Johny Craddock and oh my goodness Fannies lipstick. Jean.

Hi Jean,

Richard Greene (with an extra 'e') was Robin, Alexander Gage was Friar Tuck, Archie Duncan was Little John, and Patricia Driscoll was Marian. They all spoke with haighly porsh BBC accents, were scrupulously clean, and never actually killed anyone.

The Charlie Drake programme was Mick and Montmorency, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the other one...

Billy Bunter was played by Gerald Campion, and Mr Quelch (Buntaaaaah!) by Kynaston Reeves.

Fanny Craddock was a nightmare....

Big Gee

Big Gee Fanny Craddock would be a nightmare to most blokes far too bossy. Poor Johny he was so sweet. Jean.

Mick and What Jean said.

Back