• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

That is a great photo and it's getting closer to where I'm looking for. I'm looking for a photo of the High Street almost at 6 ways showing Fawcett's ironmongers at number 10 which is opposite the junction with Alma Street.
Richard Tatt

That is a great photo and it's getting closer to where I'm looking for. I'm looking for a photo of the High Street almost at 6 ways showing Fawcett's ironmongers at number 10 which is opposite the junction with Alma Street.
Richard Tatt

Richard

Some early photos of Six Ways Aston, I don't think they will be of much use to you though.

Attachments

• Aston six ways (2).jpg
    Aston six ways (2).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Aston Six Ways Birchfield Rd.jpg
    Aston Six Ways Birchfield Rd.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Aston Six Ways c1900.JPG
    Aston Six Ways c1900.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Aston Six Ways.JPG
    Aston Six Ways.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 113
£stoney lanesparkhill.jpgStoney Lane Sparkbrook doesn't look right to me anyone know if it is Stoney Lane , being a poor picture doesn't help

Bernie & Eddie

Without a doubt it is Stoney Lane, taken from Cheston Rd and showing the junction of Wilton Rd. Here is a better copy of your photo and what it looks like today, both show St Agnes's on the Stratford Rd in the background.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Stoney Lane.jpg
    Sparkbrook Stoney Lane.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Stoney Lane.JPG
    Stoney Lane.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 85
Bernie & Eddie

Without a doubt it is Stoney Lane, taken from Cheston Rd and showing the junction of Wilton Rd. Here is a better copy of your photo and what it looks like today, both show St Agnes's on the Stratford Rd in the background.

Thanks, Phil.

How times, and scenes change. It certainly looked more prosperous in the first photo. Eddie

#4212, what a difference a 100 years makes, from a bustling active, clean urban street, to an absolute eyesore, #4209, a lady , alone at that time of night in those days,!! alady of the night I think. Paul

Bernie & Eddie

both show St Agnes's on the Stratford Rd in the background.
Thanks Phil, feel I should have recognised this one, roots in Sparkbrook, family shop in Taunton Road etc., no memory of trams in Stoney Lane when were these replaced by buses, by the way the church is St Agatha's.

The church is St Agatha's I was an their Boy Scouts, then The Church Lads Brigade, went to the Youth Club served at the alter. Great way to meet nice girls.

Then I moved on, but they were good days!!

Thanks Phil, feel I should have recognised this one, roots in Sparkbrook, family shop in Taunton Road etc., no memory of trams in Stoney Lane when were these replaced by buses, by the way the church is St Agatha's.

Devonjim,

Yes you are right I should have remembered that it was St Agatha's as I only lived just around the corner from it and most of my family were buried from there.

Has anyone got an old photo of Parliament Street, Aston? I've just received a death certificate for my 2 x gt.grandmother and she died at 32a. I'd love to see what this road looked like. I tried Google maps but see the area is now all new houses. The rest of my family lived not far away in Clifton Road (No.27 Court or Gothic Terrace)

Judy

hi viv 14, page 21 309/310 that tall chimney on the left could be part of the gas works that were sited off adderley road/crawford street. the public house on right is, the adderley park also known as the 3 a/s, also known as the railwaymens!! saltley railway sheds were down to the left down duddeston mill road, and the pub would be full of railway workers coming of shift. my uncle ran the pub in the middle 50s. ray c.

lyn absolutely loved this site, thanks a million. i was born in aston 1946, lived in whitehead road, went to prince albert road, then on to birchfield road. dad worked at kynoch,s where he met my mum during war years, 25 years service, then ran a pub in villa street hockley, the villa tavern in the late 50,s. he couldnt turn it down as he was villa mad!!. thanks again for your wonderfull contribution, tara a bit. ray c

hi ray well its great to see you on here a warm welcome...i lived at 118 villa st from 1958 to 72 almost opposite the vine pub...i cant believe your dad ran the villa tavern believe it was demolished in the early 60s our dad was in there for last orders..do you have any photos of villa st ray ??..ive got this one of the villa tavern its the only one ive ever found..

lyn

Attachments

• Villa%20Tavern,%20Villa%20St,%20Hockley.jpg
    Villa%20Tavern,%20Villa%20St,%20Hockley.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
hi lyn, thanks for the welcome, i cannot believe we were neighbours! very sorry havent got any pics of villa st. it was a camera or a bike for my birthday, in those days a bike was first choice. we were at the tavern from nov. 1957 till oct. 1959, i believe it did not open after we left, the brewery were removing lots of furniture. the two top windows were a snooker room a few years before dad took over. there was a foundry next door dad used to fill the bar top with pints of beer, 6 o clock the workers would rush in and empty the glasses in minutes!!! we then moved to nechells, another pub!

hi lyn, thanks for the welcome, i cannot believe we were neighbours! very sorry havent got any pics of villa st. it was a camera or a bike for my birthday, in those days a bike was first choice. we were at the tavern from nov. 1957 till oct. 1959, i believe it did not open after we left, the brewery were removing lots of furniture. the two top windows were a snooker room a few years before dad took over. there was a foundry next door dad used to fill the bar top with pints of beer, 6 o clock the workers would rush in and empty the glasses in minutes!!! we then moved to nechells, another pub! tara a bit

well in that case ray your dad must have served my dad...totally understand about a bike coming before a camera...at least you now have photo of the old pub...thanks for sharing those memories ray hope to be reading more from you on the forum..there is a thread for villa st with a few photos on in case you are interested...

all the best

lyn

thanks bernie and yes i do have that one...got it in a nice A4 glossy in my old end folder...im still passing it around trying to find out who those two lads are lol

lyn

Small Heath, Armoury Rd, BSA knocking off time. Once an everyday view outside any large factory in Birmingham, today it doesn't happen.

Attachments

• Small Heath BSA Armoury Rd.JPG
    Small Heath BSA Armoury Rd.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 118
That's true Phil, always remember swathes of workers coming out of factories. Something to avoid at the big factory bus stops otherwise you'd never get on the bus. Women would have their hair wrapped up in scarves, men sometimes came out in brown overalls (or cow gowns?) smelling of whatever it was they'd bern producing. My dad would come out with his canvas army bag slung over his shoulder in which he'd taken his flask and sarnies to work. He wore a black beret with a leather rim (but was in the RAF, never was in the army!) and a mid-brown gaberdine mac. I think all of these must have been the traits of a factory workman. Viv.

Very true, Viv.

In the 1904's Longbridge would see lines and lines of double decker buses lined up waiting to take hundreds of car workers home in the evening. Many cars, mainly Austin models, would also pour out of the gates.

My wife and I, on one of our rare visits to Brum, a few years ago, drove past the Longbridge works. It was sad to see derelict buildings, with smashed windows. Ghosts of yesteryear.

Eddie

Back