• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

The Greenway was a bit rough in the seventies, there was a toilet in a yard on the Cattell Rd side and on match days the wee wee would flow down the yard into the Street:disgust:.

oh brummgum thats given me a laff

lyn

I would like to add my congratulations to that of so many others for the heroic job that you are doing for us all here Lyn. I`ve just spent the last hour or so looking through your pictures, and it`s been lovely to wallow in nostalgia, which would be impossible without such images. Still got 100 pages or so to go yet too !!
Harry Essex`s shop in your post no 210 was where I had my first job after leaving school in 1972. Harry was a cracking old boy, and I`ll always have fond memories of him. £6 per week I got paid for a 6 day week.
Anyway, fantastic pictures, and well done indeed for taking so much trouble :encouragement:

hi uncle albert and welcome..so pleased you are enjoying all the pics posted on this thread..just had a look at the one of harrys shop where you worked.looking at your wage of £6 for a 6 day week i think i did ok at earning £7 10s a week for my first job in the jewellery quarter..started this job just before the new money came in..

lyn

hi uncle albert and welcome..so pleased you are enjoying all the pics posted on this thread..just had a look at the one of harrys shop where you worked.looking at your wage of £6 for a 6 day week i think i did ok at earning £7 10s a week for my first job in the jewellery quarter..started this job just before the new money came in..

lyn

Thanks for the welcome. You had me in right from page 1, where I saw two pictures of Wheeler Street, which was the first place that I have any memory of living at. This would have been in the very early 60`s. They were back to backs, with a toilet block and brewhouse, and I seem to remember a bomb site to play on. I remember there was a little park towards the bottom of the road on the right hand side. Oh yes, and tin baths by the fireside. Happy days.

Astoness.
Thanks for pointing out the Wheeler Street thread for me. I`m just lapping all these wonderful old pictures up. Saying that, it`s so sad to see so many lost due to the recent hacking. Why on earth people would steal all those pictures when they can simply copy them is beyond me. It must have broken many hearts when it happened. It`s good to see the old indomnable british bulldog spirit in action by all the re-posts though.:encouragement:

Astoness.
Thanks for pointing out the Wheeler Street thread for me. I`m just lapping all these wonderful old pictures up. Saying that, it`s so sad to see so many lost due to the recent hacking. Why on earth people would steal all those pictures when they can simply copy them is beyond me. It must have broken many hearts when it happened. It`s good to see the old indomnable british bulldog spirit in action by all the re-posts though.:encouragement:

glad you found the wheeler st thread...there are many other street threads so just use the search box top of the page...yes it beats me why these mindless idiots would want to ruin things for others..i think we lost around 66000 images..cant get them all back of course as some original posters are no longer with us for one reason or another but slowly those of us that can repost are doing so...as i always say onward and upward..:encouragement:

lyn
My first full time job was with Newey and Eyre loading vans they were/are a Tipton company. I got £7 for a 5 day a week in new money. I thought I was a millionare as my mate an apprentice compositor only got £5. He went to Mathew Boulton College in Brum. I ony lasted 3 months and got the sack. Was out of work a month then got a job as a junior at a newsapaper. My mate (the one that fell in the mud, Carolina) got a hamper at Christmas and I got 3 weeks money I couldn't believe it. It didn't lat though.

Nico my first job was at John Wrights thimblemill lane, Aston...l started Jan 1st 1951 my wage was 30 shilling a week and l thought l was rich,gave a pound to my mom and the rest lasted me a weekend going dancing and to the pictures by then l was broke untill the next weekend.....Brenda

Nico my first job was at John Wrights thimblemill lane, Aston...l started Jan 1st 1951 my wage was 30 shilling a week and l thought l was rich,gave a pound to my mom and the rest lasted me a weekend going dancing and to the pictures by then l was broke untill the next weekend.....Brenda
What did you do Brenda? We had a John Wright's photographers here. They used to afvertise. Everybody did.

My first job was as a junior typist at Harry Astbury's Electrical Engineers which were at 63 Hockley Hill. My wages were £2.10s for a five and a half day week! It was 1954. Like you Brenda I thought I was broke after the weekend - with dancing and the pictures!!

Judy

Jeesh, Jayell. You were rich. I started an apprenticeship one year after you and my wage was 10 shillings and sixpence per week. I suppose we were learning a trade and had a day at college each week but still. I year later we had a rise in pay...gosh...30 bob. Maybe you could have taken me to the pictures with you.
I suppose there is more to life than money but I think I would have made far more of it just bolting cars together on the line...most of us never made up the difference. What price an education/trade/profession.

Nico, l worked in the IBM dept (Hollerith dept), untill 1958 when l came to Texas, l always enjoyed working there but John Wrights, were well known for not paying good wages...Brenda

Well, I`ve just pretty well spent the entire day on this thread. What a wonderful journey I have had. I`m up to page 200, and now must try to extract myself from the chair. It`s so hard to drag myself away, but I mustn`t be late picking my wife up from work. OR ELSE!!
Just felt that I had to applaud everyone who has contributed to this fantastic collection, and wanted to show my appreciation.
I was hoping to see a picture or two of Mona Road, Small Heath, and Grove Road Kings Heath. Nothing so far but hey, I`m not complaining!
Brilliant effort by all concerned. Looking forward to viewing the last 30 pages or so. That will be as soon as I get back from my taxi-driver duties.

Nico, l worked in the IBM dept (Hollerith dept), untill 1958 when l came to Texas, l always enjoyed working there but John Wrights, were well known for not paying good wages...Brenda
I was one then Bren. I used to belong to a writers' group. One of us ,Pauline Prio- Pitt wrtoe The Domestic Engineer. Don't know if it is Googlable or I will have rummage and see if I have. A womens' poet. She writes well about womens' things.

Nice photos Carolina. Have you got any old photos of Raddlebarn Road? The hospital end and was it an actual district in the 50's? Nico

Back