• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

phil a larger pic of the one you posted on 662....this was the former gothic pub....fancy painting it pink....

lyn

Former_Gothic_Public_House_Great_Hampton_Street_1.jpg
Magnificent piece of architecture, ruined by modern day people with no taste, such a shame.

What a beautiful building. We had 2 painted ghastly colours here, The Rising Son in Medievil Spon Street black and white beams and they painted it Green and Yellow and called it Flames, and another one in the same road became a Blue and Gold Indian Restaurant. Everyone complained so they have repainted them their originasl colours. To cap it all though they conctruction the Sky Dome, ultra violet fluerescent to be seen from the air. Oh yes I can pick it out as I come in via my helicopter. This modern building full of pubs nightclubs and a cinema was the former GEC plant. Yet they pulled down the old bakery saying it wasn't in keeping with the period. ! Grrrrr!

We have some fine buildings in Birmingham, it just needs someone to keep them looking original and forcing the issue if they are defaced in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina

Your photo of King Edwards Place at post #1296 I think it is actually King Alfred's Place on the other side of Bingley Hall. It's not that though that is the main reason for my post. In this slightly larger photo you can see that the scaffold around the building on the left is of the old type construction, wooden poles placed in barrels of sand and tied together. I can just about remember this method of scaffolding still being used on the odd small job when I was a child.

Attachments

• Ladywood King Alfred Place.jpg
    Ladywood King Alfred Place.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 136
img456.jpgi love this one because it reminds me of days gone by...
pic of coalman mr tom price who lived in little king street...

Great photo Lyn, it also remind's me of my childhood too, so much was delivered by horsepower, Milk, Bread, Coal.
paul

hi paul and dont forget the old rag and bone man....where would we have been without horsepower..our coalman was mr simpkiss think he lived in either church st or bubury st..talking about milkmen...i had a crush on ours..but thats another story lol..

lyn

Well, what a fascinating journey through time. I have been scrolling through Birmingham's streets now for two days. I have looked at every photo. I haven't read all the scripts, that would have taken for ever. Thanks to all that have contributed to such a wonderful collection of memorabilia. Long live Birmingham and it's history.
(Bikeral72)

glad you have enjoyed this thread al...with the winter upon us i am hoping to contribute a lot more pics..dont like going out in the cold lol..

lyn

Last edited:
I used to work for the company that did the Spratts sign,Knight Signs, (no relation) and did quite a few myself along with the Barbers tea ones.

time for a few more folks...reposting more lost images...could be one or two that i may have already reposted so sorry in advance for any double ups..

lyn..

image.jpeg

farm st/gee st 1966..newtown row running accross..

image.jpeg

one of my favourites...soho hill..no 8 turning out of ickneild st i think..

image.jpeg

back of wheeler st

image.jpeg

dudley road/heath st 1953

image.jpeg

looking toward corporation st...wont see taxis there again

image.jpeg

rocky lane..1955

image.jpeg

kinstanding road..1961

image.jpeg

leopold st highgate...1964

image.jpeg

ledsam st 1964

image.jpeg

coplow st 1952

image.jpeg

highgate st 1950

image.jpeg

heathfield garage heathfield road handsworth..1960

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

st johns church ladywood...1969

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

suffolk st/station st 1961

image.jpeg

keeley st bordesley..1966

image.jpeg

monument road/ledsam st ladywood 1960

image.jpeg

bull ring..1937

image.jpeg

102to 104 bagot st....c 1905

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

golden hillock road small heath...armoury road on the right 1952

image.jpeg

hill st 1935

image.jpeg

berners st lozells 1966

image.jpeg

last one for now..

albert st running upto high st city centre..

image.jpeg

Fantastic quality photo's Lyn, My wife was born and bred in Leapold Street, I wonder if she will remember that photo.

its a pleasure paul..al i hope the wife remembers the street..sure ive got another 1 of leopold st..will have a look...in the next few days im hoping to get some pics on here that i have not posted before...

lyn

I don't know where your getting them from Lyn, but keep them coming. Thare are places within the big city that I have never been, so any photo's of anywhere in Brum, could just wake up a memory or two.

Wonderful pictures. I didn't know old Brum really at all. Only old Cov and Old Dublin. They were very similar. I often ave dreams and the places are old like this. I think they have pulled all the old courts down here. They kept a few names with court in. There are a few buildings in the town left, some top shops, used as expensive flats and some watchmaking houses. And little terraces like mine. If they had replaced them with better housing but they didn't.
There is a street in Dublin with an arch across. Me and my mate got lost around there once and wandered in to a gypsy encampment begind a load of hoardings complete with horses and vardoes. We wandered out quick again. Then we found ourselves on the Quays by the docks and there was a pub with sawdust on the floor. The music from it was nice but there was a fight going on. My mates dad said the sawdust was to sop up the urine and the blood.
Do you remember when butchers had sawdust? I do.

dudley road/heath st 1953

img536-1.jpg

looking toward corporation st...wont see taxis there again

img535-1.jpg

rocky lane..1955

img534.jpg

kinstanding road..1961

img533-1.jpg

One of my favourites Lyn of K'standing Rd P.O. Exactly as I remember it. A place where you could happily spend your pocket money. Every time I see this I try once gain to make out the words on the wall of the cottage to the right of the P.O. Still none the wiser but it does look like "**nsy". Assume it was advertsing. Viv.

Great photos as ever, Lyn! Many thanks. Two of them caught my eye. First, the back of Wheeler Street. I had a friend who lived on Wheeler Street, but I don't think his house is in your photo, but it was very similar. My mother was very concerned that I'd made friends with a boy who lived on Wheeler Street... Second, the photo showing the original works of W Canning Ltd., with all the kids outside the gate. I knew this company very well when they had large premises on Great Hampton Street. Old Walter Canning himself lived in Grestone Avenue, Handsworth Wood.

G

thanks everyone..will get some more new ones on asap..BG thats a great pic of the canning works..and viv ive looked at the pic many times and didnt even notice the ghost sign..im sure its not there now but i will pop up and take a look tomorrow..looks to me like it could be a longer word but post office have plastered over it...just a guess mind you.
lyn

Last edited:
or it could be ERNSY stars...i think there that maybe there were more letter in front of the 5...

lyn

Back