• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

This pic dated 1938 was on the forum before the hack attack. I've had a search but I don't think it was put back on.
Some 12 years later than the photo date I often stood there waiting for a No 6 Perry Barr tram.

Attachments

• martineau_street_1938.jpg
    martineau_street_1938.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 223
Some of my old rellies lived in this Street...William Street Nos 100- 104....name of Pub on the right anyone? And my grandad would have glazed over at all that free hoss manure in the road...well he had a better word for it. but I'm sure you know what I mean....

William Street 100-104 copy.jpg

Dennis
That must be The White Horse at 98 William st. I can just about see that at that time it was a Showells house

A cracker from tom Burke from the FB site this morning....Martineau Street in all it's pomp....
One interesting point about this pic is the tramlines in the centre of the road which was two way when this pic was taken. I remember that the lines were right next to the footpath as can be seen in post links below, and I suppose when the road was changed to one way, the lines were moved to the side of the road allowing passengers to get on trams directly from the footpath.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=33053&p=345029#post345029
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=535953#post535953
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=535950#post535950

Last edited:
What is that chauffer playing with at his feet, is it the old game of "Tomato Soccer" or was it all dealt with at the time of the original post?

I must say again Dennis, you do come up with some cracking Pictures. Paul

Not my doing or digging Paul...a guy named Tom Burke on the Facebook Picture Forum mainly...GOK where he gets them from, but they do impress me too with their clarity and 'originality"...I will keep passing on his work if the admin doesn't mind?

Yes ed I love those old fashions too...here's a couple more beauties to illustrate same ...Knights Lane, Tyseley...and Erdington High Street...I'm not sure if Knights Lane became Knights Road....which is still extant?

Knights Lane Tyseley.jpgErdington High Street.jpg

Anyone know if this house from the Shoothill collection would be featured...somebody famous lived there ?...No 45 Whittall Street.

Whittall St No 45 copy.jpg

Last edited:
hi den i couldnt say and the only clue i can see it it says davis garage on the right..something on the door but i cant make that out..

No 45 in 1890 was J.H.Reddan & co, gas engineers, but this photo was obviously taken after that, as there is the sign "Davis Garage" just observable on the other side of the road. In 1921 & 1924 editions no 35½ Whittall st (about the right position) was Bertram Davis, motor engineer, and then no 45 was the home of Alfred Henry Leaney, and immediately to the left was the General Hospital. Davis is not listed in the 1915 Kellys, and in 1932 it has changed hands to Victor Davis, so could be either. Leaney and Davis are still there till 1940 edition, but by 1943 Davis has gone, and no 45 has another occupant. Below is a c 1903 map showing no 45 in red and a blue arrow by no 35½ , where photo was taken en from.

map__c_1903_showing_45_whittall_st_and_opposite_3512F2_.jpg

The only thing I can find about Alfred Henry Leaney was that apparently he wrote a book , pub Redditch in 1945 called "Should the Voluntary Hospital Survive?" As there does not seem to be any further details it is not clear if it was for a NHS, or perhaps he thought all plebs should be left without any medical help.

No 45 in 1890 was J.H.Reddan & co, gas engineers, but this photo was obviously taken after that, as there is the sign "Davis Garage" just observable on the other side of the road. In 1921 & 1924 editions no 35½ Whittall st (about the right position) was Bertram Davis, motor engineer, and then no 45 was the home of Alfred Henry Leaney, and immediately to the left was the General Hospital. Davis is not listed in the 1915 Kellys, and in 1932 it has changed hands to Victor Davis, so could be either. Leaney and Davis are still there till 1940 edition, but by 1943 Davis has gone, and no 45 has another occupant. Below is a c 1903 map showing no 45 in red and a blue arrow by no 35½ , where photo was taken en from.

map__c_1903_showing_45_whittall_st_and_opposite_3512F2_.jpg

Thanks again mike...at first I thought it might be our old favourite in Anderton's Square...but the door is different...now you've nailed it nicely...

Andertons Square 1932.jpgAnderton Square map.jpg

Broadbent's is listed as 72 & 78 Oxford St Digbeth B 5 in my '73-'74 Kelly's Dennis, so I think you are in the right area!
rosie.

Dennis

Your Broadbent photo is the junction of Mill Lane, in this photo you can see the street nameplate more clearly.

Attachments

• Deritend Mill Lane W Broadbent Sack Works.jpg
    Deritend Mill Lane W Broadbent Sack Works.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 86
Dennis

They made quite a mess of the place, this photo was taken on December 11th 1940 which I assume was the morning after the raid.

Attachments

• s Bath Row 11.12.40. .jpg
    s Bath Row 11.12.40. .jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 83
Back