• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
My Mom wouldn't tell me where I came from Jean - so I asked my grandad who lived nex door - it was under a blackcurrent bush - small dark haired and dark eyed little girl LOL

Here Is A Couple I Recall Growing Up ,
Your Still Wet BehindThe Ears ,
The Hand Thats Rocks The Cradle Rules The World ,
Youth Looks Ahead,-- Old Age Looks Back , And Middle Age Looks Tired ,;
Best Wishes To One And All ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;

Astonion like the saying 'youth looks ahead Old Age looks back and middle age looks tired' - How very true

Hi anyone heard of this ?After having my haircut,my Mom would always tap me on the head a couple of times & say Barbers knock???. Eaten to much, your eyes are bigger than your belly.

Hi Baz

slightly different my mam said a run around the table to see what was on the other side.

Denise

Any one heard of the saying ..'San Fairy Anne ' ?
My nan used to saying it .. instead of the word nothing :) Or is it a bargee term ?
Jean

As for tell tale twit we used to say all the little ducklings will come and have a bit. After my 3 tear old niece had got me into trouble telling tales i said it to her she woke up during the night screaming and told her mother that ducs where comig whoops! in trouble again

When I was a kid, and it was time for bed, Mom would always say," Goodnight and Godbless".

When she saw someone happy and enjoying themselves, she would say," Now he's in his Oil Tot"..‚.. What is an Oil Tot ????? :( :( ??? ???

My gran used to use that saying and I still do :)
Oh and all my family call each other BAB ! And also about the swearing . My dad worked in a factory and could swear for britain at work .. but he never uttered a swearword in front of any woman .. never in his life .. and you know what ? His mum of the barges used to put the F ing kettle on to make an F ing cup of tea . But it was pary of her natural language as she couldnt read or write . God bless her .. I have many of her values today Thanks God :)
Jean

My nan used to saying it .. instead of the word nothing :) Or is it a bargee term ?
Jean

My wife's family used that one and she still does, as well as when mechanical things go wrong, it's gone 'doo lally tap'. This also applies to people doing strange things as well (like me usually).

Jean
Along with it's cruder Anglification, sweet fanny anne, it is simply a poor reciting of the French
"En fait rien", which literally translates as "In fact nothing".

Here's a few more:

When Nechells was a nice place
= Long ago
Like New Street Station round here = lots of people coming & going
Around the Wrekin = going the long way round
Arbun edge = Refers to a bad cup of tea as in "tests loik 'Arbun Edge" i.e. Tastes like it's made with leaves from a Harborne hedge
Brewy Leven = Brew XI. A beer once brewed by Mitchells and Butlers at Cape Hill
Caggy-handed = Left handed
Copolt = Take hold of this
Donnies = Hands (Wash your donnies)
Foyered = to lose ones job as in "the gaffer foyered me"
Freud = Cooked in a pan of oil (as in "freud sossy-jizz")
Garridge = Where you keep your car (or "mowta")
Guzzunda = A vessel that was used during the night in the days of back to back houses not having an inside toilet. The word describes where it was kept which was under the bed. "The pot goes under the bed"
Kayliyed = Intoxicated, knocked out
Orse Rowed = Thoroughfare..the "Horse Road" ...used generally by "Senior Brummies"
Owamya Bin Keepin ( Nothing to do with the worlds most wanted man) = How are you? or Have you been keeping well?
Palaver = A vexing situation
Waggin it = Missing school for no good reason, playing truant

has any heard the saying cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey? i know what it means and its nothing nasty

Denise TELL TALE TWIT - How i can relate to that - my sister Jean was a tell tale twit - my mom listened , but fortunately for me my dad didn't.

However, I will be first to admit that in some extreme circumstance we need them.

Hi Lloyd
I learned that saying in Air Cadets, it refer to the brass rails {brass monkey's]which the canon balls sat contracting and the balls falling through, i guess the crew was glad the ships were made out of hard wood and not cheap plastic

Hi Lloyd,
probably shuldn't admit to this, but my mom called me caggy handed all my life - and i'm right handed!
I think its more 'not being good with your hands' or doing things back to front.

The day i got married at Aston Church,after the vows we went into the vestry,and after everything was signed mom turned around and said quite seriously" well my girl you've made your bed now you can lie on it" not really understanding what it meant....but l think it made me to be a very independent person that l am to-day......has anybody else heard of this expression and what it means?? brenda

Brenda sometimes it was said if you made a decision against other peoples better judgment. If things didn't work out you only had yourself to blame. Bye. Jean.

From Dictionary dot com:

"You've made your bed, now lie in it
"

You made a decision and now must accept its consequences.
Note: This expression is commonly used as a response to people who have been complaining about problems they have brought on themselves.​

The day i got married at Aston Church,after the vows we went into the vestry,and after everything was signed mom turned around and said quite seriously" well my girl you've made your bed now you can lie on it" not really understanding what it meant....but l think it made me to be a very independent person that l am to-day......has anybody else heard of this expression and what it means?? brenda
oh dear! was she not happy with your choice? another way to say it would be you made the choice - now live with it!
Something my mom used to say to me to!!

Well l understand a little bit more now by my mom saying that....really the only thing she had about me getting married was me being so young, Ron and l were both 20 in my parents eyes far to young to take on the responsibility of marriage but you know what young love is.....the day we came off our honeymoon, we just had enough money for a bus fare on a 33 bus to Aston......maybe mom had a point...that was nearly 52 yrs ago.. brenda.

Looks like you did your old mum proud Brenda. You mustve picked the right bed!

My ma used to tell us ''you'll get a punch in the puss if you don't behave''
My father-in-law describes kissing as 'exchanging spittle'

If you play with fire then you will get burnt is similar to yours Graham

Back