• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old photos

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
2 0ld Erdington photos borrowed off ebay:rolleyes:
I just about remember that church being knocked down.

Attachments

• Gravelly Hill The Hart Memorial Church.jpg
    Gravelly Hill The Hart Memorial Church.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Erdington Village Green bhf.jpg
    Erdington Village Green bhf.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Would that be the junction of Orphanage Road and High Street, looking towards Sutton. Someone was asking for photo's here a short time ago.
Super photo's.

I agree Rupert great photo's although I am having difficulty picturing the area. Wasn't it lovely!

Yes Rupert, the Church was on that junction, must have been knocked down late 50's early 60's ?
The other photo is the village green Erdington High Street.
Nice maps.:)

The road that runs to the left is Kingsbury Road......I was sure that the church was still there in the late 60's early 70's...., I thought it still was....until I just checked with google earth.

Last edited:
I remember The Hart Memorial Methodist Church at Gravelly Hill and Kingsbury Road and it being rather different from many local Methodist Churches of that era and I also remember being amazed that the whole place had gone. I have found on the internet of marriage records being available at the Birmingham Library up until l973 from Hart Memorial Methodist but am not sure if that is when the church was demolished.

It must have been at least l977 before I came to England after not visiting for some years i.e 1972. I did some further digging and found that the church was designed by the same architect who designed The Methodist Hall on Corporation Street - Ewan Harper and presumably his brother James A. Harper. It was a beautiful building. How sad that it is gone. Thanks for posting the post cards Frothblower. The Erdington Village Green at that era portrays what a lovely Village it was.

Just comparing the map with GE to see what is still there from the 1890s and if you go north along Kingsbury Road you will see that Sheperds Green House is still there in it's gardens.

Sorry to tell you Rupert, but Shepherds Green house is not there any more. I'm sad to say, it was demolished nearly 2 years ago. there is now a complex run by the Salvation Army.
Google Earth is way out of date, you will see the new building on Microsoft Live search.

quote=Frothblower;78362]2 0ld Erdington photos borrowed off ebay:rolleyes:
I just about remember that church being knocked down.[/quote]
very nice i want to see more old photos of erdington & station rd :crying2::crying2:

i want to see more old photos of erdington & station rd
[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/martinoc/193551688/in/set-72157594204909786/"]2. Station Road, Erdington (2006) on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

The church was the junction of Gravelly Hill and Kingsbury Road, There is now a block of flats there.

Looks like the Erdington photo was taken from just outside where the library is now. The shops on the right hand side looked the same in the early (19)80's, even to the cobbled drive.

quote=Frothblower;78362]2 0ld Erdington photos borrowed off ebay:rolleyes:
I just about remember that church being knocked down.
very nice i want to see more old photos of erdington & station rd :crying2::crying2:[/quote]

Hello and welcome daytay,

I'm not sure if any of these has been posted before, but take a look.

ErdingtonTheVillageGreen.jpg
ErdingtonHighStreet1.jpg

ErdingtonHighSt1961.jpg
ErdingtonHighSt1920s.jpg

Have just put this old photo of Stanley Mathews on when history is not passed on but thin it is more suitable for hear. Jean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back