• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old photo

pollypops

master brummie
My brother in law has been given this old photo by his cousin. She has told him the older man with the beard sitting on the chair is his Gt Grandfather.
Unfortunately we know nothing about him except that he had a daughter born in Aston in 1886.
If someone could have ago at tidying up the photo I would be very grateful - also does anyone recognise the uniforms the men are wearing?

scan_10-10-2011_15h32m24s5B15D.jpg

This is a little better Polly

grandfather_with_beardB.jpg

That was quick Mike - it has made it much easier to see the features on their faces - thank you :encouragement:

what a marvel you are mickejee, definitely Boer War uniforms so would date 1898/1902, the elderly gentleman with the beard looks about (60) so would say put him at 1900, as born around 1840.
paul

Look again chaps.

They're Australian Army uniforms !

Judging by the belt they're both wearing, I'd say the photo was taken during WW1.

Some British troops in the boer war used the side fixing "Sundowner Hats" also known as Colonial Bush hat.
Paul

I agree Paul.

With respect, the first thing I noticed is the "collar dogs", that's the badge of the AIF.

I think you, like me have worn SD. That uniform is not British Service Dress and that pattern of belt wasn't issued during the Boer War.

First pattern KD webbing belt issued in 1915, quite correct Baz, "my eyes are dim I cannot see".
regards paul

Imagine the Blanco & Brasso you'd use bulling that monstrosity up Paul !

I'm just wondering whether the photo pollypops showed us was taken in Australia mate.

(Did you wear SD by the way ?).

Thank you everyone for all your comments. So the uniform may be that of the Australian Imperial Force 1914-1918?
If it is that uniform does it mean the two men would have had to be living in Australia to join the AIF?
What are the two "sticks" the men are holding in their hands and why is one different - or is it just being held the other way up? Is it a riding stick?

The sticks are "Swagger Sticks", part of an officer's dress uniform. Sorry I know nothing of the uniform's origin.

Here's my cleaned version of the picture, with the wall behind made plain to enhance the view of the men.

A.jpg

Thank you for the photo Lloyd that is much cleaner! Also thank you for the information about swagger sticks. This photo is a bit of a mystery - I certainly wasn't expecting to find a possible Australian connection.

Well baz! the old KD webbing belts we had could be a nightmare, with the brass buckles at the back, and brass shoulders and front stays, the hours I spent in the blanco room?? I take it by SD, you mean BD then yes!!.
All ranks up to the 1920's carried swagger sticks Lloyd.
paul

Dont know much about the other Regiments but in the Brigade of Guards so called
"Swagger" sticks were only used by NCOs, Officers, many of whom were sons of Lords
and the Landed Gentry used canes or walking sticks. Bernard.ps Those two men
look as if they might have just come back from fighting the Turks!

Last edited:
Well baz! the old KD webbing belts we had could be a nightmare, with the brass buckles at the back, and brass shoulders and front stays, the hours I spent in the blanco room?? I take it by SD, you mean BD then yes!!.
All ranks up to the 1920's carried swagger sticks Lloyd.
paul

No Paul, I meant Service Dress. When I was a Boy Soldier we all wore SD then progressed to Battledress.

As to the swagger stick, I've seen quite a few pictures of soldiers posing for pictures holding one. I think they were allowed when the soldier was off duty and was for just the reason they were named - to swagger about a bit !

It's not likely, pollypops, that the men could've joined the Australian Army anywhere else than in Australia.

So it seems the uniform was the AIF and the two men must have lived in Australia .... wow what a puzzle that's caused!

From the 1920's onward junior Nco,s up to L/Sgt carried swagger sticks in the Guards, but if you look at the Recruiting from the 19th and early 20th C, all ranks carried them even in the Foot Guards.

I do remember reading somewhere that Australian and Canadian troops were billeted with host families in some areas during WW1 Polly so may be that's why your relatives were photographed with them?!!
paul

Thank you so much for that information Paul. Because I don't know anything about the family I just assumed they were probably related - but your explanation makes more sense. Do you know if the troops would they have been billeted to families in Birmingham?

Back