• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old medical records

philbee

birmingham born and bred
afternoon all
just a quickie does anyone know if you can access old medical records if so is there an online site
phil

Phil, there isn't an on-line site as far as I know, but depends on what records you want. If theyare your own, you can write and ask to see them via your GP. Hospital records are only kept for certain periods unless there is a reason for extending the time, best place for that would be to access through the PALS service of hospital concerned, they will tell you who to contact.
Sue

My father was seriously ill in 1928 with TB of the spine, and according to my mother he was the first person to survive this illness at the time, and an article was published in The Lancet about him, can anyone point me in the right direction to find this. His name was William Wallace and he was probably in The General Hospital.

Sylvia:

Elsevier has now digitised all the back articles of "The Lancet" and individual articles can be purchased. More details here:- https://www.info.sciverse.com/sciencedirect/using/access_article_display/guest

Your big problem is that due to patient confidentiality, names of patients are not mentioned in articles. Your chances of finding details via this route are a a bit slim as there are probably several thousand articles on TB, though you are able to narrow it down a bit by date. The other problem is whether, as a guest, you will be allowed full access to their search facilities and how good those facilities are. Perhaps knowing the author(s) of the article may help.

I would feel inclined to email them explaining your predicament. Alternatively, find a medical student who would be willing to spend an hour or so searching for you. All university libraries running medical courses should have access.

Maurice

Maurice thanks for the link, it looks a bit daunting to me, I will go back to it when I have more time, and see if I can find anything to help me.

Back