• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Gate Yard, Coventry Road, Small Heath

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
I’m wondering if Mikejee or someone has a close up map of the Old Gate Inn, Coventry Road, Small Heath, circa 1881? There is a back yard to this pub, and my very very naughty Gt Grandad George Walter Ellis lived at 7 Bk Old Gate Yard with his lady love Ann Watson/Bennett and his two illegitimate children by her. Also listed were HER three children from another marriage. Next door at 5 Bk Old Gate Yard was his future bride to be in three years (1884), Annie Marie Parkes and her mother and sibs. He kept this quiet from all the family and I only discovered this by due diligence and years of searching. A map of precisely where these back houses were would be a final flourish to garnish my tale for the family.

The old gate pub was situated at 313 Coventry Rd, just past the pub was a terrace called Court 7 perhaps that's where your G Granddad lived. It was close to Regent Park Road.

Last edited:
Here's the map of the period anyway. 313 is given by GE as being at the intersection with Regent Park road but accuracy is sometimes not the greatest.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10099&ox=1049&oy=2872&zm=1&czm=1&x=444&y=489

Actually only a stones throw from St Andrews but it was only a brickyard then...still the railway end is there. If you click off centre on the map it will bring that click point to centre. Go up to the left for St Andrews...just before the end of the page.

The numbering of Coventry road changed between 1882 and 1888, so at the time concerned, the old gate was no 145. It is shown in red on the1889 map below, while old gate yard must have been the houses in blue. . The yard might also include the ones in green, but I think probably not as they seem separate. The uncoloured ones further on are Clifton Terrace. The road running across the right bottom corner is regent park road
mike

map_c_1889_old_gate_inn_coventry_road__showing_old_gate_yard.JPG

Thanks for coming through for me Rupert and mike, that is perzakerly where it is. Just opposite the Green Lane Road Junction. That is most useful. Here is the only picture I can find of the Old Gate, the grisly looking pub on the left. Long gone now. My day is made. Sorry it is such a big file size...

Last edited:
That's probably because it is. No idea why I wrote that Nick, I use the road almost every day!! Senior moment mate, sorry. Now where''s my medication.. I've fixed it now.

Hello, I have just joined and am just seeing this post. My gt gt grandfather also lived at Old Gate Yard. I would love to see the photo you have posted under this post but cannot open it. Would you be kind enough to send it to my private email at [email protected]. Thanks so very much. Alice

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between Old Gate Yard and Bk Old Gate. My great grandfather , Frank Murrell and his family lived at 4 Old Gate Yard. I would also be interested to know the "class" of this housing. Was it considered for the poor being in a laneway behind a Taven? Thanks very much.

They would be the same in this case. the houses can be seen to be back to back , but by the look of it larger than some back to backs (here they are rectangular, whereas in many cases the width is shown to equal the breadth of the house. So originally probably not the poorest housing, but not particularly well off either. I'm not sure whether being behind a tavern or just a terrace would necessarily affect the matter

Back