• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

hi barry.. there realy is no need for thanks as you wouldnt beleive the pleasure i get from posting pics...to me they are an important part of our history and without them we could only guess what days gone by were like....i have sorted out a few more which i will scan and post tomorrow night...

glad you like them...

lyn:)

Lyn - fantastic thread. Thanks for putting the time and effort into posting these pictures, they are wonderful. I particularly like the one of the children in the 'back yard' in Icknield Street. Mabz :)

In picture 10 the lady marked with a red * is my Aunt Edith Lamb, I think she was living at No 16 Upper Thomas St just above the Pub, which you can see on the right behind the bus, the Garage you see on the left was on the corner of Park Lane & Upper Thomas St on the opposite corner to what I think was Mrs Shotbolts sweet shop. (please correct me if I am wrong)
My family & I also went on one of those coach trips around the streets to see others party decorations.

hi baron...im sorry but i cant seem to access your attatchment...but how lovely to have a relative in a great picture like that....

hi mabz...yes i like that one too...by the way i should be hearing soon from the archives dept when i can go and view the farm st school records..i put in a request 2 weeks ago...

ah baron so thats your auntie...thanks for pointing her out to us...

cracking pic.....

The Evening Mail pics were very much appreciated, Astoness. The photo of the Brookfields Schoolchildren of Ellen Street in 1923 was of particular interest as it's close to the trail I'm following of my mother's early schooldays. In that year she was a pupil at St Benedict's Infants School, Small Heath....

hi gham.. glad to have helped a little...i could be mistaken but i think another member is researching st benedicts school...if you type it in in the search box something may turn up.....cant wait to look at the farm st records..it should be interesting...:)

astoness..

any chance of an higher scan as I have a friend who would like a higher res for a print off

morning john...o dear now your going all technical on me...ive think ive got a pretty good scanner...its an epsom but how to ajust to a higher scan i have absolutely no idea....my son tom is the wizard at this sort of thing and hes just gone to school..mind you with the weather as it is theres a chance he will be back home soon...i will ask him if he can sort it out for me...if there is a perticular pic/pics you want can you let me know which one/ones...

oops...sorry..gipsys tent..bordesley green.
Used to drink there from school (Bordesley Green Tech) but used the one which was almost next door, The Why Not, more. It was fun going in and finding the teachers drinking. You never saw us for dust!
Great job Lyn and I'm only 2 or 3 pages in!

hope you all dont mind if i dedicate this last one for now to my good friend frothy as he seems to spend most of his spare time in here:rolleyes:...this is a lovely pic and it may well have been posted before...

sorry froth...couldnt help it...lol

That's him on the far right. Supporting himself against the wall. I've told him the beer's strong in there!:D

morning david...id never heard or seen a pic of that pub...this is why i thought it may be nice to put some of these pics on... as the papers are quite old( ive got a few dated 1995) and that there may be some that we have not seen before....i will be posting some more tonight...

the one I was refering to was the charabanc in Upper thomas street that The Baron put on sorry for misleading you the thread had moved on when I posted

no probs john...so do you still need a higher res of that pic if i can do it...

Gypsy's Tent

Morning Lyn, it was on Cherrywood Road almost opposite Denbigh Road. A short stroll from our school gates! I think it's still I believe but name changed to Tipsy Gent. Why???:redface:

Attachments

• typsy gent.JPG
    typsy gent.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
John, this shop was run by my Aunt for a while around the same time as the one of the outing posted above,it was in UPPER THOMAS STREET as well just up and over the road from the pic;

baron...thanks for posting that pic...you are lucky to have these as a part of your family history..

lyn

as some pics are old ones coupled with the fact that the papers are old the quality of some are not very good so would someone kindly be able to touch up the really bad ones...

thanks everso...

the next two pics will definately not be of good quality..they are from the mail 1985 but when i saw them it hit home again just how devasting war is....

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Queen St Bombings 1940's.jpg
    Sparkbrook Queen St Bombings 1940's.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 27
here a few facts about ww2...

between june 25th 1940 and may 15th 1944

2,061 air raid message of all kinds were recieved in birmingham..of these 365 were red warnings..seventy seven of these alerts were followed by raids and because some of them ran into each other there were actually 65 seperate attacks on the city...

in total the luftfwaffe dropped on birmingham 5,129 high explosive bombs including 930 which did not go off..

48 parachute mines...of which 16 did not explode..

scores of thousands of incendiaries and a number of oil and phosophorus bombs...

in all around 2,000 tons of bombs pounded birmingham and 4,863 fires were reported....

these raids destroyed 12,391 houses.. and damaged tens of thousands more..they wrecked 302 factories and hundreds of others were damaged..they obliterated 34 churches..halls and cinemas and ravaged hundeds more...and they blew up 205 other buildings...

but the greatest loss of all was that of life..

german bombers killed..

2,241 brummies..
including 211 children under 16..
they seriously injured 3,010 people and slightly wounded another 3,682 folk..

how on earth they coped with all that i will never know...

Attachments

• img085_renamed_13641~0[1].jpg
    img085_renamed_13641~0[1].jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 22
Back