• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Contemptibles

Hello everyone, its difficult when you are a fairly new member when you look at some of the old threads and
wonder if people are still interested, I think they must be otherwise they would have been deleted. The place
Astonian was talking about at Five Ways was the Nautical Club in Bishopsgate Street, there is a torpedo outside and a sixpounder gun! The Birmingham Branch
of The Coldstream Guards Assc; hold their meetings there every month. I went last March to the AGM.
Blooming long walk from New Street Station!
Cheers Bernard67Arnold.:cool::cool: Keep Smiling.

Hi Bernie: You were wondering about the older threads on the Forum and if people were still interested in the subjects. It is the endeavour of the Birmingham History site to keep all threads that contain information or photos of Birmingham's historical past.

These records are the main stay of this site. If you have a query about Birmingham History, the Search at the top of the menu bar will bring up threads regarding this topic if the subject has appeared on the forum. Hope that helps.

Thanks jennyann, I have found that on this site if you are not sure of anything, or ask a question it isnt long
before some kind person puts you right! thanks again.Quote; It isnt what you know thats matters but who!! Cheers Bernie:coolcheesy:

The sad thing about the Old Contemptibles was that after the war a lot of them finished up selling matches on the street, so much for "A Land fit for Heros to Live In"!!! as Lloyd George said.Bernard67Arnold

Bernie, I would like to say how much I agree with JennyAnn. I'm always finding old threads updated with a bit of new info or photos or maps which give me new insights. I think this is what the site can be most proud of. A huge repository of Birmingham history.

Hello David, thanks for the reply, as you may have gathered I am a complete novice both at the keyboard and forum but having been born and bred, in Brum as they say
I find this forum brings back memories of what some people would call the good old days, we moved out in 1957 under the "Overspill Scheme" and after 17 years in
Burton now live inLittleover in Derby. My wife Enid passed away
just over a year ago after 54 years and my daughter decided I needed to keep my brain active hence the
computor. Bye for now Bernard:cool:

The sad thing about the Old Contemptibles was that after the war a lot of them finished up selling matches on the street, so much for "A Land fit for Heros to Live In"!!! as Lloyd George said.Bernard67Arnold
Your post is part of what i remember of the years post WW1 to pre WW2, it was part of life to see & hear Old Contemptibles singing in the street, cap in hand for folk to drop copper coins in, their medals were worn with pride on poor clothing, one of the songs sung was "Rose`s are Blooming in Picardy" very poignent and it should be remembered that the people giving to them were also living in poverty, sadly the only improvement in living standards came with the events leading to the start of WW2 ( i was 11yrs young 1939) and work for all. Len.

Back