• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

hi alf i take it you mean steves colour photo...dont think the date matters that much the main thing was getting its location correct but at a guess between the late 50s and 60s...maybe someone could look up the reg on the milk float..it may narrow the date down

lyn
J R Lee are listed at the St Mark's address in 1968 phone book but not the 1969 one. So the photo has to be before 1969 unless the sign was left on the wall.

This is the building that is now opposite where St Mark's Street would have met King Edward's Road. Do the windows look familiar in layout??
View attachment 156684
An update.

I have found the following info that confirms that this is the building in the original posting.
A company called 'Hydrapower Dynamics Ltd' purchased the building in 1996 (still trading).
The original picture was taken in 1958 when the owners were 'John R Lee' decorator's merchants.
The site was originally the 'St Mark's Church and School'.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the picture hunt I think we agreed on the grocers shop been 107 St Mark's Street (on corner of Regent Place), so the road is St Marks Street Ladywood - I will edit the original.
It always amazes me the level of knowledge you all have and the data sources you use - big thanks.

Good morning , Interesting view of Birmingham overlooking Ladywood, massive goods yard to the left and the canal snaking into the distance. In the distance we have Baskerville House and the Hall of Memory but no flats at the rear and Alpha Tower has not been built. Plenty of chimneys for the many factories around

Test153 1.jpg

I am sure some of you will appreciate this one - I also know the location - Alma Street. A fine window for window shopping at the newsagents - love the Sunday Mercury sign, Post office with the clock in the window. Like the lamp with the square lantern. Round the corner are a couple of vans and a distinctive shop front with the blinds down. Is the lady in the middle in some sort of uniform with the white Cap?

Test318 1.jpg

Last one is a house - no location but so distinctive of an age - three storeys, sad to see the broken windows upstairs , but it still looks lived in next door is bricked and boarded up, and a very distinctive brickwork which must have been a pain to do no hard but two piles of bricks.

Test332 1.jpg

Last one is a house - no location but so distinctive of an age - three storeys, sad to see the broken windows upstairs , but it still looks lived in next door is bricked and boarded up, and a very distinctive brickwork which must have been a pain to do no hard but two piles of bricks.

View attachment 156716

Gosh yes, very interesting brickwork, no idea where that might be.
In actual fact, fancy brickwork seems to be making a comeback. There is some new building not too far from me where they are fitting the bricks at alternative angles.

View attachment 156716
My dad would always point out Flemish bond when he saw this style of bricklaying. There seem to be places where this bricklayer wasn't quite concentrating. Interesting to see the changes in window frames over time

Good morning , Interesting view of Birmingham overlooking Ladywood, massive goods yard to the left and the canal snaking into the distance. In the distance we have Baskerville House and the Hall of Memory but no flats at the rear and Alpha Tower has not been built. Plenty of chimneys for the many factories around

View attachment 156712
Top marks to the photographer. So much detail captured.

Next up an anonymous row of fine buildings, metal frames and leaded windows, fine chimney pots and grand entrances, cannot make out the street name but sure someone can assist. Fine selection of wires and bells on the centre buildings also.

View attachment 156713
Here we go.
I think (could be wrong) this is the junction of 'Great Charles Street' and 'Easy Row'.
The man on the corner is looking into the Midland Red booking office.

I am sure some of you will appreciate this one - I also know the location - Alma Street. A fine window for window shopping at the newsagents - love the Sunday Mercury sign, Post office with the clock in the window. Like the lamp with the square lantern. Round the corner are a couple of vans and a distinctive shop front with the blinds down. Is the lady in the middle in some sort of uniform with the white Cap?

View attachment 156715

Could we put a date to this picture ?

Steve, could I copy this picture to the Story behind the picture Thread ?

View attachment 156716
Love it... think it was called Flemish Bond.
Remember the term from typing a friend's college coursework many years ago.
Once again, many thanks!
Annie

View attachment 156715
I can't date it but looked in 1940 (last one online) Kelly's as I wondered if the "demolition shop" was anything to do with clearance after the war. The shops were - Six Ways PO, Mrs Fanny Skidmore newsagent and Smart's Retail Ltd a pork butchers. When did pork butchers disappear? I don't remember them in the 50s. Dad recalls his Mom telling her usual butcher she didn't need meat for the weekend as she was getting pork so I assume that was from a port butcher.

View attachment 156715
I have this picture from somewhere on BHF, it's dated 1964

Attachments

• almast11.jpg
    almast11.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 43
That’s interesting the picture is the same as Steve’s but cropped on the right hand side, and out of focus !

That’s interesting the picture is the same as Steve’s but cropped on the right hand side, and out of focus !
I think the one I posted had been taken from the original using a camera and the format prevented the full width being recorded, that could be why it's blurred on the right hand side. I suspect Steve's is the original.

View attachment 156715

The OS Map published 1945... Showing the PO.

E7E0B53F-A0E0-4EC0-AA8F-028423846E0F.jpeg

Oh - wow - for me that is good - thanks for that. (The only reason I wondered was my husband's aunt had one well into the 1980s). Does that mean the photo could be earlier?

Back