• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Afternoon, this selection is based on comments from the last trip up Corporation Street these are close ups of the shops taken a few years earlier in 1971, these pictures were part of a shop survey as we have the whole road shop by shop first up Perry Greaves.

View attachment 153267
These "now" shots are as good as I can get allowing for the angles on streetview.
1613836142812.png

Thanks SteveBhx for showing these wonderful photos
My favorites are Soho Road & Holyhead Road
soho-rd-photosW2.jpg
Here is a chance to see some as though you were walking along those roads
Download & open the pdf document below to see the photos
Clicking on a photo should link to larger photo

Attachments

• soho road 2.pdf
    149.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
What a great thread STEVEBHx. A couple of months ago I was going to post in the corner shop thread a memory of this building that used to be a shop. It's on the corner of Bordesley Green & Imperial Road. In the late 60s when I was working on the 53 & 54 buses, we used to stop at this shop to get our "billy cans" filled with tea. Hopefully, one day a photo will turn up showing it as a shop.
View attachment 152977View attachment 152976

The beginning of the clip below starts with a film taken from the 53/54 bus heading along Bordesley green in 1960s towards Town. It shows Charles road on left and then the junction of Victoria street and Bordesley Green and a shot looking down Victoria street @ 18 seconds. Then it shows the old Bordesley Green post office (now demolished) and Garrison lane.

The beginning of the clip below starts with a film taken from the 53/54 bus heading along Bordesley green in 1960s towards Town. It shows Charles road on left and then the junction of Victoria street and Bordesley Green and a shot looking down Victoria street @ 18 seconds. Then it shows the old Bordesley Green post office (now demolished) and Garrison lane.

Thank you for posting this Jim, the first 30 seconds brought a lot of memories back for me. My Aunt lived in Victoria Street, and I went to Wyndcliffe School on Little Green Lane. My bus stop was just past the Post Office (outside a sweet shop!) where I caught the 53 bus to take me down to Gordon Street off Garrison Lane. Looking at the video it seems such a long time ago but so familiar at the same time, happy days!

Getting into my part of the country now Steve :), any more Kingstanding stuff?
Sorry Eric - most of the black and white pictures were from a regeneration survey done in the early seventies, nearest I have are a few from Erdington and a couple in Sutton. I only put the ghost sign as I remebered the adverts - think they are still there although it is now the bookies!!

Wow Crowthers ! Post #306 - that’s made my day. I loved that shop and I’ve never seen a photo of the shop anywhere. Thanks so much.

And Janice’s post in #312 confirms what we discussed in the Crowthers thread. Thanks. Viv.

Back