• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I love this photo Steve. My dad had a lock up on the corner of Steelhouse Lane. (Newspapers, magazines cigarettes etc) having left the Birmingham Post. Think his hut from memory was by the law firm on the corner. He used to park his car outside the Gaumont. My brother once told me there was a photograph in Carl Chinns magazine Old Brum of the Gaumont and my dads car was parked outside. (With permission of course). Would love to see it. Thanks again
I can do the side wall of the Gaumont that's about it

A bit different Smallbrook Queensway underpass from 1970, what a dark place that was with the mosaic tile in the pillars. We have La Dolce Vita nightclub, Corinthian Health Club, and note the iconic uplighters on the buildings and the window cleaners above Hurst street.

View attachment 154172

If you were in the La Dolce Vita in August 1970, you may have heard this...

Four of us seen Marmalade at the La Dolce Vita in about 71/72
Remember seeing Labi Siffre & had a chat with him in his dressing room.........Lovely guy.
Also met Anita Harris in her dressing room & when I was about to leave she said...."Don't I get a Kiss"
So I PUCKERED up.......like ya do......lol
Remember going home that night with her signed photograph & guarded it like no tomorrow......but before we went home had a curry in the Taj Mahal & left at 4am........Fed & WELL watered I can tell ya....hic hic.....

With reference to post #631 et seq, the full story of the Wing Yip organisation is told in detail in More Birmingham Memories published by True North Books Limited. Woon Wing Yip first came to the UK from his native Hong Kong in 1959 with £10 in his pocket. After a few failed job offers, he eventually opened his first Chinese restaurant with two partners in a former Clacton-on-Sea teashop in 1962. He had a captive customer base from the nearby Butlins holiday camp. Then followed a second restaurant in Ipswich near a large American airbase & the Americans were well accustomed to Chinese food.

By the late 1960s he had decided he no longer wanted to be a restauranteur. In 1970 his brother Sammy, who worked at the Hong Kong Hilton, joined him and they opened the first Chinese grocers at 135 Digbeth, supplying initially Chinese families for home use, and Chinese restaurants and takeaways that had started to spring up in Birmingham. In 1975 the store moved to larger premises in Coventry Street. In 1977, the two brothers were joined by a third brother, Lee Sing Yap, who had previously owned a store in Jamaica. In 1992 the Wing Yip Centre in Nechells was opened incorporating a Chinese restaurant, a Chinese dentist, a Chinese doctor, a travel agent, accountant, solicitor, bank, and printer. The business also operates in Manchester, Cricklewood and Croydon and employs over 300 staff.

The article stretches to six A4 pages and goes on to discuss the second generation, all well qualified as are its British employees, and its large overseas property portfolio. They also sponsor Chinese students coming to study in the UK. However, there is no mention of mikejee's warehouse! Sorry Mike.

Maurice :cool:

I think that would be the one in Coventry St. I was obviously wrong about Makepeace being after that. It was a cash & carry warehouse, not a normal shop

114 Crocketts Road in 1974, Fine Twinings sign above the door and a couple of Typhoo Tea signs in the side window. I like the Midland Counties ice cream sign, and the way the shop is stepped down from the house next door and finally the sparrow in the road.114 Crocketts Road- 74.jpg

126 Clarence Road in 1975, a fine selection of eaves chimney pots and coping stones, fine selection of goods in the windows and those patterned ricks which seem to be in front of a lot of shops. I also like the little front gate and door knocker.

126 Clarence Road - 75.jpg

130 Wattville Road 1974, not sure of the sign for this property I cannot see much evidence of torches batteries ior toys and there are a set of scales inside. The blind looks a little worse for wear also. Looking next door we have the butchers no doubt with sawdust on the floor was never sure why as a child, still not sure now. A quick mention also for the Hillman Hunter.

130 Wattville Road - 74.jpg

Looking very sad is Osborn stores at 145 Osbourn Road in 1975, signs in the windows for Orantips and Typhoo Tea and a sign in the door for Bristol but not sure what that is. Ornamental brickwork as usual and a nice reflection of a Morris Minor.

145 Osborne Road - 74.jpg

146 Walford Road 1974, love how every where is clean and tidy. The look of the windows with the smaller panes, and fine arches over the windows though the shop doesn't look very inviting with the thick nets, perhaps Sylvia didn't want people looking in at the customers!

146 Walford Road - 74 x.jpg

126 Clarence Road in 1975, a fine selection of eaves chimney pots and coping stones, fine selection of goods in the windows and those patterned ricks which seem to be in front of a lot of shops. I also like the little front gate and door knocker.

View attachment 154257
This brings back some memories for me, from 1968-1972 I lived at no. 100 Clarence Road a few doors further to the right of the photo. In those years this shop was a beer retailer, Outdoor as we know it. The road to the left of the photo was George Street.

130 Wattville Road 1974, not sure of the sign for this property I cannot see much evidence of torches batteries ior toys and there are a set of scales inside. The blind looks a little worse for wear also. Looking next door we have the butchers no doubt with sawdust on the floor was never sure why as a child, still not sure now. A quick mention also for the Hillman Hunter.

View attachment 154258
Window also has a sign 'Flowers for all occasions'

View attachment 154258
I always thought the sawdust was to mop up any spilt blood from the sides of meat.
No shops and just a row of new build houses

Attachments

• 130 Wattville Road - 2021.JPG
    130 Wattville Road - 2021.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 3
Looking very sad is Osborn stores at 145 Osbourn Road in 1975, signs in the windows for Orantips and Typhoo Tea and a sign in the door for Bristol but not sure what that is. Ornamental brickwork as usual and a nice reflection of a Morris Minor.

View attachment 154259
Not the most recent Streetview but I need there to be no leaves on the tree. Shop is same today but tree is much larger.

Attachments

• 145 Osborne Road - 2021.JPG
    145 Osborne Road - 2021.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 16
A most enjoyable thread, so many memories of this era with Cafe's & little corner shops thriving everywhere. Travelling around Brum for 18 yrs working for a shopfitting company I would have been in many of those shops & Cafe's

Now all gone forever, perhaps this thread should be retitled 'The lost world' : unamused:

I thought that but its years since meat was butchered like that suppose its as you said but kept as a throwback.
I suppose it might also have been that anything dropped on the floor would have to be binned if it was covered in sawdust.

Thanks for all the comments - I have only scanned a small portion of the pictures to gauge reaction - thanks for that reaction. I have many others sorted into themes, shops, factories hotels etc, and it is only when you review them that you see how much is lost considering the majority were taken in the 1970's which I don't consider that long ago.
I will yet again add thanks to Janice for adding an extra dimension to the pictures - a hard task as I have tried on occasion to find a property and had to travel up and down a road and change years on the street view.

It is a challenge sometimes and I have resorted to Kelly's Directories, Old Maps and old Phone books sometimes to pinpoint missing buildings. I am learning a lot by visiting some parts of Birmingham I don't know very well.
Thanks, Steve, for all the time scanning and posting.

Wonderful - great job done by our two time travellers, Steve and Janice ! The then and now images are giving us so much interesting (and new) material. The thread is a joy to browse. Thank you both. Viv.
I'll say it again hear, hear or is it here, here and thanks for a fascinating thread, particularly because of the now and then comparisons that are available.

Bob

Back