• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham in 3D presentation

Keith3d

Hello Friends,

I've only just discovered this forum, so if I get any of the etiquette wrong please be gentle with me!

I thought members might like to know that next Saturday (March 7th) I'll be presenting a selection of old pictures of Birmingham in 3D at a meeting of the Stereoscopic Society in Coventry. Admission is free for those attending for the first time.

The pictures were mostly taken in the 1960s and 70s, and almost all are of the city centre. Some of the pictures cover the rebuilding of New Street Station in the 1960s and there are a variety of other subjects, including shops and Christmas illuminations.

The pictures will be projected using a system similar to that used in cinemas to show 3D films.

If you're interested in coming along, the meeting starts at 2:30 pm and is at St Barbara's Church Hall, 24 Rochester Road, Earlsdon, Coventry CV5 6AG. There's usually ample parking on the road outside but, if you do come, please don't block the residents' drives

The Birmingham presentation is the second half of the meeting, after the tea break, and I expect it to last about an hour. The first half of the meeting is about making 3D videos.

All are very welcome!

If you'd like more information, please contact me via the forum.

Sorry for the late posting, btw, but as I said, I've only just discovered this forum.

Best wishes,

Keith3d (Keith Wilson)

Thank you Keith, I won't be able to attend but it sounds so interesting!
Many years ago there was a "free gift" with Weetabix. It was a viewer for pictures in "3D" ie. two slightly different pictures which merged through the viewer.
Wendy, one the Moderators, had a view of Warstone Lane Cemetery which she posted a long time ago, but only as a single picture.
I hope your presentation goes well!
rosie.

Thanks for your reply Rosie - shame you won't be able to make it to Coventry. Did I mention there's free tea and biscuits as well as the presentation?

The viewer that was given away by Weetabix was actually a version of the Vistascreen viewers that were very popular in the 1950s. One of these was my first introduction to 3D and my mother bought it for me in Grays department store on what was probably my first visit to Birmingham. (I was born and brought up in Wolverhampton). At the time, my Dad was acting as relief manager at the Bywaters shop, which I believe was in Bull Street.

Anyway, I now have a big collection of the Vistascreen cards that went with the viewers. They were issued in sets of ten, and each set covered a stately home, a city or another subject of interest - including a few nudes (page 3 style), which was very daring for the 1950s. There was even a set for Birmingham, although it seems to be very rare and it's not in my collection. I do, however, have scans of this set and, when I have a few minutes, I'll try to upload them to the forum, if I can figure out how to do it!

Keith3d

Back