• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old billesley

H

haggie64

hi..new to forum..has anyone got any pics of the bottom of yardley wood road nr the old valley pub...trying to get a picture of my old dad's butchers shop which was next to the old bank..was BMSB later to become TSB..now a indian restaurant.....:) progress ?......tks for replies..shop was there from bout 66 till 75

hi..new to forum..has anyone got any pics of the bottom of yardley wood road nr the old valley pub...trying to get a picture of my old dad's butchers shop which was next to the old bank..was BMSB later to become TSB..now a indian restaurant.....:) progress ?......
Hi There, Have walked round that area for many moons when I lived in Cleeve Road from 1933/48 when I
joined the Guards. It was mainly to go to the Tudor picture house, or to get the tram to the Lickey Hills, no pics though could not afford a camra till 1948, I remember my wife opening an account with the
BMSB you mentioned that would be about 1955, cheers now Bernard

Hi

I used to visit the bank with my mother but cannot recall the Bucthers. The bank was some way from where we lived and we would have used the Butchers in Brook Lane or by the Swan Nest.

Welcome to the Forum.
We also used the old Birmingham Municipal Bank as it was then but for some reason my parents never used any of the shops there instead they used the ones further up Yardley Wood Rd where the Co-op was.I did find an old pic of the "Valley pub" but when the computer crashed I lost it but I got it from the Internet, I have never seen a picture of those shops that you want, but if I do find one I will put it on this site.
Pete

I've seen a photo of the bank with the shops somewhere in a book or on the web, but cannot find it again.
Was your father Victor Attwood, butcher at 832, Yardley Wood Road.

Colin

I was born in my Nans house on Hullbrook road in 1965. I have very fond memories of my childhood in Billesley and the surrounding areas especially the parks and pubs (pop and crisps please Grandad). I made the mistake of going back there last year for the first time in 20 years. What an unkempt dump the place is turning into. Another third world ghetto in the making. Truly heart breaking and a million miles from the chocolate box images of my childhood. Anyway a couple of links.......

https://www3.telus.net/public/dcdudley/memories7.html

https://www3.telus.net/public/dcdudley/pubs.html#PUBS

Hi Gazzo.
Some of us who still live in Billesley are trying to clean it up I run a group on Billesley Common called "The Valley Riverside Project" and over the last three years we have given hundreds of hours building bridges, clearing pathways, bushes, replacing fences and only last week organised the building of two shallow "scrapes" to collect excess rainwater.As an Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator we clean graffiti from signs etc, we are winning, honest!

Hi. Peter. You are very much appreciated I am sure for what you do, if I still lived up there I would come and help.

Hi Gazzo.
Some of us who still live in Billesley are trying to clean it up I run a group on Billesley Common called "The Valley Riverside Project" and over the last three years we have given hundreds of hours building bridges, clearing pathways, bushes, replacing fences and only last week organised the building of two shallow "scrapes" to collect excess rainwater.As an Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator we clean graffiti from signs etc, we are winning, honest!
Fantastic it does help when communities get involved well done bilsat and all the volunteers who help!

Here are some pics from when we started cleaning up the Common! Do you like our homemade bridge................

I've seen a photo of the bank with the shops somewhere in a book or on the web, but cannot find it again.
Was your father Victor Attwood, butcher at 832, Yardley Wood Road.

Colin
my father was reg sarsfield..we must have come after vic..and yes 832 was our shop

hi bil..ive seen some of your great work..strange to see trees/bushes where i used to play ..remember the prefabs and little bridges..dad had me convinced the 3 billy goats story was round here..lol....i wouldnt ever cross the middle bridge cuss it was dark and the trees hung over it.id love to help but bad back and being a f/t carer restricts me a lot these days..carry on good work guys

Hi Bilsat - great photos and great work of restoration. As for the Haggie's Billy Groat Gruff story - everyone knows that was true.

Thanks for the Valley pic Mike, thats the one I was looking for but lost it when the computer crashed!

Hi All.
I am now involved with writing a book about Billesley, any stories, pics etc would be gratefully accepted, please contact me either through this forum or info can be left at Holy Cross Community Centre Beauchamp Rd or contact me via:pete.haylor@gmail.com

Back