• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Aston Railway Station

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Hello,Me and my brother used to go to aston station in the 50s get on the steam train and off to new street, There we had a friend who was a wheel taper,He would give us a cup of tea and a burned spud,He had a lamp which you put powder and water into then light it.When we was cold
we would go in the waiting room on one of the platforms and have a warm by the coal stove,The old bham station was great,all them under ground passages to the PO mail.was great to explore,Then back on the train to aston.When re built it was not the same.

Peter, I have similar memories from the 1940s, when I used to go to 6t5he corner of Aston Church Road and Longacre, where you could see the engine shed 3D either over the top or through the gaps in the vertical sleeper fence that bordered the road. I went to Aston Grammar at the time, and remember often being a bit late because some of us used to wait for a train from Stoke which passed Witton station at about 8.40. It regularly had an engine which had just been built or overhauled at Crewe Works. Sometimes Jubes or Pates, or just Black Fives, the very latest being brand new with Caprotti valve gear, or was that a bit later?
Peter

I have seen this photo before and noted the grimy appearance of the buildings, however, what appears incongruous is the WHITE Brothers laundry and the W. WHITEhouse shop plus the M&B advert on the bridge, in after all, Ansells home territory. :D The date of the photo seems to be 1947 plus a year or two as one tramcar has the pre1946 style numerals - bold script with coloured shading - the other the newer sans style. The bus looks rather like one of those with Daimler chassis in the GOE series which were the first new post war BCT buses entering service in 1947/8. There were two batches, each of 75 buses, 1481 GOE 481 - 1555 GOE 555, which had AEC engines, the second batch 1556 GOE 556 - 1630 GOE 630 had Gardner engines All the bodies were all built at Saltley.
The photo is a little indistinct so I cannot be 100% sure about this but the next Daimler buses for BCT were in 1948/9 and had longer engines which has a more pronounced radiator as a result.

These photos of Aston Station are from the 1980's, showing a mixture of DMU's and EMU's (Diesel and Electrical Multiple Units). The Cross City Line was run by diesels back then, whilst the line to Walsall was electrified.
First three photos were at dusk, so a little gloomy:-
1661550638409.png
1661550672540.png
1661550702918.png
1661550737177.png
1661550770868.png

Back