• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Off Licence - Yew Tree Lane Yardley

A nice historic photograph of this offie at Yardley. Nice and neat compared to the shop of today! Two women stop to have a natter whilst walking their dogs. The image dates from June 1960 but I cannot quite see the name of the woman who held the licence as the light above the door is partially blocking the licensee's plate. I can see Edith Em ... worth. I had a guess at Edith Emily Holdsworth but I am not sure if this is correct. Twenty years earlier the off licence was run by Mrs. Hilda Pomfrey. I suspect that the licence was transferred to her as her husband, Reginald, was in the Royal Artillery Reserve.

Yardley - Yew Tree Lane Off Licence.jpg

Corner of Harvey Road down from the school was an off licence for years when I lived on Moat lane in the 1940s 1950s . Think may still be there

Me to, I remember it well, across the street on Moat Lane. was a chap that had bees Mom used to buy honey from him My old walking route to the Yew Tree. Went to school on Harvey Road during WW2, there was barrage balloon site top of Harvey Road and Church Rd

Hi,

In both pictures the building appears to have the same Crittall? windows upstairs.
I reckon they have had their moneysworth out of them.

I had them in my old house in Smith's Wood too, and they lasted well, - the only problem
was that the wood around them rotted away!

Kind regards
Dave.

Back