• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ntsc

ed smith

master brummie
Can anyone tell me if NTSC relates to the dvd region or the television,only the old series of the Untouchables are out but season four at themoment is a US import NTSC,I realise i need a multi region player for region one but will it play NTSC
Thanks

Are you sure it is a DVD? From a little bit of research, NTSC seems to be a VHS standard. The UK being PAL and a good deal of Europe being SECAM.

Differences between NTSC and PAL see HERE

In relation to DVD,s North America (from memory) is Region 1 whereas Europe is Region 2. However, some DVD players can be set to change from Region to Region up to a set number of times. The one in my computer can be changed up to 5 times (from memory).

Whilst I've got it on VHS, I'd love to get the DVD of Carly Simon, "Live from Martha's Vineyard". It only seems to be available as a Region 1 DVD and then, at silly prices.

If you have an NSTC dvd, try it in a dvd player, it maywork. If I recall from memory correctly NSTC is the American TV standard.

However most dvd players will play most regions; they don’ttell you this on the box, but with modern dvd players it should work.

Ken r
definately dvd,will hang on till it comes to Europe,Amazon have Carly Simon, "Live from Martha's Vineyard but its an US import but selling at £11 which is quite reasonable but useless if you cannot play it.
Moturn i shall get a cheap import and try it on my Blu-Ray
Thanks for your inputs

Because the US went into colour TV before most countries in the world it was a rather poor system and the quality could fluctuate. Sometimes it was so bad people said NTSC stood for Never The Same Colour.

Ken r
definately dvd,will hang on till it comes to Europe,Amazon have Carly Simon, "Live from Martha's Vineyard but its an US import but selling at £11 which is quite reasonable but useless if you cannot play it.
Moturn i shall get a cheap import and try it on my Blu-Ray
Thanks for your inputs

For what it's worth, the Carly Simon concert is a re-issue from several years ago and probably the same show as ran on TV here at around the same time.

Back