• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Noteworthy 19th c. Brummies in Australia

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
The following 17 names appear in the online Australian Dictionary of Biography, all individuals born in Birmingham in the 19th c. who made a name for themselves, usually respectably but not in every case, in Australia:

Aaron, Abbott, Baines, Blyth, Clark (twice), Derrington, Grimley, Jukes, Loynes, Perry, Rignall, Riley, Salomons, Sullivan, Willoughby, Wilson.

This is the link for further information. (It can be a bit slow).

Chris

Brum to Oz

Hi Chris
Perhaps I could add my ancestor to your list.
John Moule b. 10 March 1845 Lower Trinity St. Bordesley son of James Lancelot and Elizabeth Moule.
He arrived in South Australia approx 1865 via USA and China where he prospected for gold.
He set up business in Saddleworth S A and went on to be there Member of Parliament for many years before dying of a heart attack on board the Melbourne Express March 1912.
His son Capt Charles Lancelot Moule b 19 June 1879 died in WW1 19 October 1917 and was awarded the Milatary Cross for outstanding bravery.
Not bad I think for a boy from the backstreets of Brum. all pictures of him and his family can be found on the Picture Australia Site.

Regards Steerboy

Proudly said and quite rightly too.
Perhaps you could do a write up on them for our site.:)

Steerboy thank you for the information. I am sure Rod would love an account for the Birmingham main site.

Thanks for that, steerboy - and a warm welcome to the forum.

Thanks also for drawing our attention to the Picture Australia website - a fascinating source of information and well worth a delve.

Chris

PS The rough-tough Australian traditions encountered by these people in the 19th c. have been ever so slightly softened by the 21st. I quote from an overnight message from an Oz cousin:

"I remember that recently you parted with your Koi, so it follows that you must be grieving. This morning's paper informs us that Melbourne Zoo keepers found one of its baby Sumatran Tigers drowned in the pool in its enclosure.

I thought you would be comforted to know that the Zoo management has arranged for the staff to have Grief Counselling......."

Last edited:
Back