• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Northfield / Kings Norton on film

flatpack

In 1949 John Andrews was given a second-hand cine camera for his 15th birthday. He and a few other boys in the neighbourhood decided to start up a youth-club, using John’s garage as a studio and filming around the area in their free time. They soon graduated from small actuality films like Village of Northfield to more ambitious projects; thrillers, science fiction, comedy, all delivered with wit and attention to detail. Towards the end of the 1950s the Alpha club had moved to Kings Norton and became more focussed on sports than cinema, but by then they had built up a body of work which stands as a unique document of their corner of the world as it was transformed from villages to suburbs.

Sixty years on from Alpha’s birth, Flatpack Festival is delighted to present a selection of their films. Musical accompaniment will be provided by pianist Alcyona Mick, and local historian John Smith will be on hand to help you get your bearings, with key local events including the last tram leaving Birmingham city centre, and hijinks at Kings Norton carnival.

This screening is on Sunday 15th March at 1pm at The Electric Cinema. For tickets and more information please go to www.flatpackfestival.org.uk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/articles/2009/03/02/alpha_boys_feature.shtml

Other events at the Festival with local ties include -

- A documentary on John Madin, the architect who designed the Central Library that was made in the early 60s
- a rare screening of Privilege, made in the 60s, featuring Paul Jones (Manfred Mann) and Jean Shrimpton and parts filmed in the Town Hall
- Curzonora - a night dedicated to the this years festival's patron saint, Waller Jeffs, whose shows wowed Birmingham audiences in the early 20th Century

Part of Flatpack Festival 11-15 March, Birmingham

Thank you for posting this .

The Paul Jones and Jean Shrimpton film Privilege was also filmed at the Birmingham City Football Ground , Coventry Rd on a wet cold night.The ground was open to the public to view the filming. I believe a lot of this was cut , along with with the Go-Go dancers scene
Both my and Aunt ( Go-Go dancer ) and my Grandmother from Yardley had small parts in the film.

This film is not on Video or Dvd and I would have liked to see this rare screening on the 15th March. Unfortunately I am unable to make it :crying2:

My Grandmother and Aunt also appeared in the film -
Work is a four letter word, with Cilla Black. Also filmed in Birmingham.
This is not on Video or Dvd either. I heard Cilla did not want this released because she was embarrassed about the size of her nose ( before her surgery ). I do not know if this is true or not.

Having met with cousins recently I found that they had connections with the Birmingham Film - Cathy Come Home.
It all makes for interesting family history.

Bo

did anyone see this? I've just read this thread and as I grew up in Northfield in the 50s would be interested in seeing some of these films.

Does anyone know if they plan to show them again?

Dave

hello Dave -
Sorry for the slow reply. We do hope to show the films again sometime, perhaps in Northfield itself. They're a lovely document and deserve an audience. Will post on here if we have any details.

Ian
(Flatpack fest / 7 Inch Cinema)

thanks Ian, that would be appreciated. I live in Paignton now but often travel back 'home' to pursue family history enquiries and just take in the air! I actually grew up in Northfield Institute on Church Road, quite an interesting place in it own right.

best wishes

Dave

would love to attend these viewings, but now live in Australia. Went to Turves Green 2nd modern around 1957 my name Julie Smith, lived in Wychall Lane at that time, anyone around from that era, love to hear from you.

My name was Julie Smith - I was born in 1943 at Conybere St. Balsall Heath, went to Highgate St School, one of my friends at that time was Margaret McKenzie and lived in Dymock St. Anyone around from that era? Love to here from you, I now live in Australia.

Privilege is around on DVD & also the whole film is on Youtube in 15 installments

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Re3ACvnh_g"]YouTube - Steven Shorter / Paul Jones "Privilege" (1967)[/ame]

Search on Youtube for the full film

Back