• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Normans of Essington St (1891-1911)

Essington St, c1900, centre of picture

View attachment 33561

bren

There was an "Old Ma Bull' a widow I think, who ran a newspaper shop in Alexandra Street. Ladywood around 1947. I remember the hissing gas mantle. You could find the address in a Kellys Directory for that year.

ladywood

Any maps or information would be greatly appreciated.

I had an Aunt Lil [Lilly] who was nee Gossage. I think she had 5 or 6 sisters who were all given names of flowers. There was Lilly, Rose, Violet, can't remember the rest. I think they spent their childhood in the Bartley Green, California area.

ladywood

Any maps or information would be greatly appreciated.

I had an Aunt Lil [Lilly] who was nee Gossage. I think she had 5 or 6 sisters who were all given names of flowers. There was Lilly, Rose, Violet, May, can't remember the rest. I think they spent their childhood in the Bartley Green, California area.

ladywood

Hi,

My Gossages were all from birmingham central south (Ss Luke, Martin & Alban), round Hope St and Bissell St late 1800's to 1923, then they moved Balsall Heath side of the river, I believe Longmore St. We have two Lillians, Nan 1922 and her Aunt 1899 and her sister Rose.

My Great Nanny Norman owend a shop on Grosvenor St West, no. 5, and a boarding house for a while at no. 7, her one son owned a shop on Ryland St, he was a hardware dealer and another was a greengrocer I believe at 16 Essington St.

If anyone can correct me or add to my findings I would be hugely grateful as I'm still quite newish,

Lisa

Back