• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norman Pett, cartoonist

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Many years ago the Daily Mirror used to run a cartoon strip called Jane, our older members will remember it, (especially the men). This leads me on to when back in the 60’s we regularly visited my dad’s brother who at the time lived in Rupert St, Nechells. As was the custom then, the men went for a drink while the women stayed behind. As I was just about old enough to drink, I used to look forward to be going with them. The pub we always went to was the Oliver Cromwell, which was near to where they lived. Anyway, this one particular night when we were there, (we always sat in the smoke room), there was this lady in a group, all having a nice quiet drink. This lady must have been in her mid to late 50’s, had really long blonde hair, and obviously she must have looked a stunner in her younger days, you could’nt help but look at her to be honest. My uncle said to us that she was the original model for Jane, we had no reason to disbelieve him so we carried on drinking as normal.
Over the years I often thought about it and I came to the conclusion that it was just a story with no fact to it, and gradually forgot about it. However, I now wonder, I have just done a search and came up with this info… The cartoon was devised in the 30’s by a guy named Norman Pett and he used his wife as the original model..… read on.

Pett, Norman (1891 - 1960)

clip_image001.jpg

After taking a correspondence course in drawing from Percy Bradshaw's Press Art School in London, Pett began to contribute cartoons to Punch, Passing Show and other publications, including children's comics. He also taught art at Moseley Road Junior Art School in Birmingham. Pett is the creator of the famous Second World War comic heroine, Jane. Jane was "born" in 1932, when 'Jane's Journal, the Diary of a Bright Young Thing' was launched in the Daily Mirror. As war broke out, Jane (who was modeled after Pett's wife), shed more and more clothes, thus keeping up the morale of servicemen both at home and abroad.

What do others think ? or is there anyone out there that knows something.
Terry

Norman Pett was actually William Norman Pett born 1891 Kings norton
in 1911 he is an Art Student living with his parents in Gillott road.

As for his models he is reputed to have used his wife Mary Wade Ovenden b. 1895 Lichfield, they married in 1920
he used her as his model until 1940 when Chrystabel Leighton-Porter became his model.

William Norman Pett died early in 1960 and shortly after in the same year his widow married Hugh Strange in London and she died in 1970 in Gloucs.
Chrystabel died in 2000.

Norman Pett was actually William Norman Pett born 1891 Kings norton
in 1911 he is an Art Student living with his parents in Gillott road.

As for his models he is reputed to have used his wife Mary Wade Ovenden b. 1895 Lichfield, they married in 1920
he used her as his model until 1940 when Chrystabel Leighton-Porter became his model.

William Norman Pett died early in 1960 and shortly after in the same year his widow married Hugh Strange in London and she died in 1970 in Gloucs.
Chrystabel died in 2000.

Well that seems to answer my question, thanks Alberta, I'll put it to rest now. At least we have another Brummie with a claim to fame.
Terry

Back