• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norman and Flo Martin

Scarlett2001

Hello everyone, this is our first post. Whilst browsing in a Tewkesbury charity shop we found 15 postcards. They were all addressed to Flo and W. Norman Martin, 2298 Coventry Road, Sheldon Birmingham. One dates from 10/8/1945 from 1508309 LAC Martin.W.N. RAF CMS when Flo was still living at 88, Hawthorn Road,Manchester 21. The last postcard is dated 18 July 1961. Does anyone know this family as we would like to return the postcards to the family. Thanks.

Hello everyone, this is our first post. Whilst browsing in a Tewkesbury charity shop we found 15 postcards. They were all addressed to Flo and W. Norman Martin, 2298 Coventry Road, Sheldon Birmingham. One dates from 10/8/1945 from 1508309 LAC Martin.W.N. RAF CMS when Flo was still living at 88, Hawthorn Road,Manchester 21. The last postcard is dated 18 July 1961. Does anyone know this family as we would like to return the postcards to the family. Thanks.
hi and welcome...how nice of you to want to return the postcards to their rightful family i myself have a few old books dating from the 1800s belonging to a family from birmingham and every so often i bring the post to the top just in case any family are looking in...fingers crossed someone may claim your postcards

lyn

Could it be that the descendants of this family, if there are any, live or lived in the Tewkesbury area?

Hello Everyone,Thank you for your replies. Yes I had a look for the house on Google Maps but, as you say there is a block of flats on that site now. That particular charity shop where we found the postcards has a central warehouse so the cards could have been donated at any of their shops.

There is a William N Martin who married Florence Fielding in Manchester in 1938 and they are listed at Hawthorn Road on the 1939 reg.
Florence was born in 1900 and William in 1904.
They are listed at 2298 on the 1950 eroll.

Last edited:
i have had a quick look on ancestry at members trees and there is one for a florence fielding b 1900 manchester but they say she died in 1920 ..very little info apart from that but i will have another look

lyn

i have had a quick look on ancestry at members trees and there is one for a florence fielding b 1900 manchester but they say she died in 1920 ..very little info apart from that but i will have another look

lyn
I based her dob on the 1939 entry.
1707745406535.png

thanks for florences date of birth jan..that definately rules out the one i found on an ancestry tree

lyn

This was the marriage I spotted (I think William from Salford).
View attachment 188899
seems likely jan...looked again on the ancestry trees for both william and florence but no luck...its always worth looking as a friend of mine had some old documents that had been thrown out and she traced the family through ancestry and they were delighted to receive them

lyn

At the moment I haven't found any possible children but, she was 38 when they married and if he was away until 1945 they might not have had any.
Might need to look back and trace possible nieces and nephews. x

Went on Newspaper site to see if I could find when the house was sold and this popped up. No mention of Husband or children. Assume he died first.
Sandwell Evening Mail - Thursday 25 November 1993.JPG

Last edited:
My aunt passed away a few years ago, aged 100, but at one time in the 1950/1955 Electoral Register she was living at 2312 Coventry Road, so a couple of houses down from there, by the Ivy Leaf British Legion Club. My aunt then moved to live practically next door to the Olton Hall Public House.

Florence is showing as living at 2298 from about 1950 to 1962 on the (Midlands) Birmingham Electoral Register, so she probably knew my aunt Daisy and Uncle, William Davies as they lived about 6 or 7 houses away!!

I don't think this could be the same person if she died in 1920 because this is the 1839 register.
hi maggieanne i think you mean the 1939 register not the 1839 and if you look at post 10 we have ruled out the florence on ancestry ithink at the moment all we can hope for is that a member of the family will join the forum and spot this thread..fingers crossed

lyn

Last edited:
hi maggieanne i think you mean the 1939 register not the 1839 and if you look at post 10 we have ruled out the florence on ancestry ithink at the moment all we can hope for is that a member of the family will join the forum and spot this thread..fingers crossed

lyn
Haha, sorry, I've just been stuck in the 1880's Ancestry research, trying to make sense of some of the family trees online. Did you know that people can get married after they die, or sometimes before they're born!

have you tried the power of facebook yet? if you havent got an account id be happy to put a post up and ask my friends to share it in there part of the country

Back