• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

no 7 villa street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike..this one is going back a bit but is it possible for you to pinpoint where number 7 villa was please in 1861..i had yet another rellie living there:rolleyes:

thanks mike but only when you have the time..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
There were no numbers given to any of the houses in the directories at that time, but I may be able to work out where it was if you tell me the name of your relative
Mike

ok mike thank you...on the 1861 census

henry froggatt
sarah wife and children...

would love to know which end of villa st it was but dont worrry if you cant work it out....we know where no 32 was in 1950..next to the docs surgery but the numbering may have been differnt 90 years before that..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn! I'm led to believe?? that house I lived in at the top end of Villa street, up by Wills street, something like 1881. was number 22. Reg.
ok mike thank you...on the 1861 census

henry froggatt
sarah wife and children...

would love to know which end of villa st it was but dont worrry if you cant work it out....we know where no 32 was in 1950..next to the docs surgery but the numbering may have been differnt 90 years before that..

lyn

thanks for that reg..i have a feeling that no 7 would have been up that end of villa street...wished they didnt change the numbering about...it confuses me lol..

I always!! follow your Villa Street threads with interest Lyn. I did ask a genealogist friend if he could find any information regarding Villa street. But he never came back with anything. XX reg.
reg im still on the hunt for a pic of that house....

lyn

maybe you should get back onto him reg..if you go to the globe inn william st north thread you will see that at long last i have pics and info it at long last...never give up reg..they are out there somewhere..

lyn

Got four! results Lyn, which one do I go to.??
maybe you should get back onto him reg..if you go to the globe inn william st north thread you will see that at long last i have pics and info it at long last...never give up reg..they are out there somewhere..

lyn

I'm on it Lyn
Peculiar fact came up. If you put Henry Froggatt in Ancestry in 1861, 35 come up (all over the country). Only eleven are listed as having wives , and five of those are Sarah (two of them, including yours, in Aston, the other being in cheapside)
mike

thanks mike..i thought with a name like froggatt i would have no trouble tracing my lot but it has proved difficult...

lyn

hi mike got another address for a rellie...william froggatt (henrys son) with wife...looks like 1 court 1 house...this is on the 1891 census...so now including when i lived in the street ive got 5 addresses...im sure my lot must have taken over lol...

Lyn
I think I've got the position, though there is apossibility house had probably been demolished for a factory by 1889, which is the first date map I have. The census for that district starts at Aston brook, marked in blue on the map and first. goes up Villa St on the East side. First there is a Cottage Place (7 houses listed), which i thibk must be the houses in orange (or some on the same site). then there is Henry froggatt's house which might be the one in turquoise, though we cannot be sure. Then there are 4 other houses (roughly area in red), of which at least 3 are likely to have been demolished for the factory , then there is Providence row , which i already identified in a previous post to you (in green)
I think very likely the turquiose house is it, but cannot be certain
mike

Map_c_1889_showing_Prosperity_Row2C_Cottage_Place_and_Henry_Froggatts_house_position_in_c_1862.jpg

thanks mike for taking the time to work this one out....its most useful....

lyn

Back