• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown shopping centre

The last three posts have been moved to this thread. Could members please try and use search box before starting a new thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a summer job at Rumbelows there in the 70s helping to deliver stereograms to mostly older customers who only had one old scratched Slim Whitman album to play on them. Apart from that, I remember the TSB bank opposite the Sainsbury, where the cashiers had to yank the shopping towards them using wooden frames in pre-conveyer belt days. There was also a Lo-Cost Discount shop, which latterly became a Bobby's, and a Fine Fare. Apart from that, I can still remember a newsagents with a white frontage and the "Roundabout" market hall with the aforesaid Mr Pants. Once Sainsbury went, the centre rapidly went downhill.

Our school used to use Newtown Baths since every other Victorian swimming bath had closed by then with the except of Woodcock St nearer the city centre. I remember visiting that once for a school gala and thinking how decrepit it looked then.

we have another thread for newtown shopping centre with lots of photos of it before demo...if you use the search box you should locate it

lyn

Thanks Lyn. The two threads have now been merged into this one.

There may be earlier unseen posts. Viv.

hi folks does anyone have any photos of newtown shopping centre from the early 80,s and can anyone remember burberrys hairdressers in newtown shopping centre from the early 80,s ? cheers
I used to get my hair done there before it vanished. I remember Kevin as one of the barbers. He had a shop in Witton I went to before he closed it and joined the team at Burberry's.

I could write a book about The Paddock public house situated in Newtown Shopping Centre , Great pub and even greater characters using it . Where have pubs like this one gone to , where else could you see a pork pie cut up with a sword on a Friday evening ha ha ? All gone now lost in time .

I have just remembered Goulds the tailors which was next door or next but one to Ray's shop, for years Goulds had been on the corner of Newtown Row and Inkerman Street. Other shops I now recall were Poxon or Coxon the butchers, M.E.B. showrooms, a car insurance company, can't recall the name, and up near the Newbury Road entrance was Withers newsagents and tobacconists. These shops were all there when the Centre opened about 1973. so could have closed or changed hands in the later years. The decorating shop was owned by Gordon Slater and his partner John? they used to have a stall in the old market hall next to the Post Office corner of Newtown Row/Asylum Road. I spoke to Gordon only two weeks ago when he came to our Reunion at The Barn.
Sylvia what was the name of the butchers in the indoor market there was a butcher that used the Paddock everynight and he was the manager of this shop I realise it wasn't Walter Smiths now as I've seen there shop in one of the pics ?

Last edited:
Back