• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Community Centre

robh

Brummie babby
Hello,
I have just done a search on this site and found nothing for the above.
If anyone has anything to share on this building i'd love the hear it.
Anything will be appreciated. I'm not sure what i am looking for at the moment but will get back to you as details emerge.

Many thanks.

Hi Robb
I remember the community centre very well it was a very thriving centre for all Age,s I lived next door to it when I got married
And lived in Inker man house top floor a couple of blocks away
And when they built the white elephant car park and the shopping percent
And when they built the three big blocks of flats directly across the road from there ,it was good because it involved the elderly people
Whom lived alone in those terrible blocks to get people together and to get to know each other
My aunty Edith moved from park street by the old vine pub moved up there she was one of the first tennants
To move in and when it was built it was a swimming baths then changed to a library meeting place for the local residents
And eventually a community centre and they could have meals there as well for other social functions
And my Auntie Edith marsdon worked in there as an assistant and done the kitchen work there IE, cooking meals
By then those terrible blocks deteriated
And then they moved the rough necks I to those building and then the area went into a démodé and some windows used to get smashed
And that started the local people to stop coming and the fear of being mugged when coming out
But there was a lot of elderly people wanted to move out and it became a regular thing to see a a furtiture wagon as people was
Frightened especially the elderly and that was the declined of the community for he elderly
The market hall was abkt of a no starter but eventually it started to lick up I think it was a super market called Colling was the first super market to move in
The percent followed by other shops and Barnett's the off .licence moved in as well
As I lived on the very top floor of the building over looking the percent and of crocodile worked on Alma street
I did witness a lot of things and Assaults on people and breakings and police and security officers chasing and catching the culprits
And now its a place of not walking g alone around there now nor along that stretch after a certain time of day
But getting back to your thread and question as time as long stretch on us and gone as to why no feed back it would be possible
That the existing neibours have either passed away or moved on or they are not members of the forum and possible
Never heard of us ,the BH F in good old brum ,I Myself spread and Advertise the word of our forum to people,e when travelling around
And meeting old brummies and tell them what its All about and tell them how they can recidle and find out about there family tree and find old Friends
Have a good day best wishes Aston born and bred through and through Lichfield road,, Astonian,,,,,,,,,,

Probably the reason your post hasn't had many replies is that the Newtown Shopping Centre was built after the majority of old Aston people had moved out due to re-development and so never used the Community Centre.

Back