• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street Station 1967

A couple of pics of New Street Station whilst it was being redeveloped during the 60's, and one of Queens Drive before they started.

Phil

Attachments

• City New St Station.jpg
    City New St Station.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 139
  • City New St under Construction.jpg
    City New St under Construction.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 134
  • City Queens Drive New St Station 1955.jpg
    City Queens Drive New St Station 1955.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 132
hi
to my reconing new street station as as three make overs in my life
and i beleive they are gonna change it again so you can add more picto your collection mark there is ones from the old rear entrance to the station with the old waiting rooms
and the front [ main entrance] but i surpose its needed now with the volume of trains
we have today compared with the old puffers [ steam and smoke ] i used to train spot up at monument rd train station from the bridge and then i got daring and went down the side in cope street to the sheds and walked in amongest the steamers
always on a sunday when no one was around one sunday some kids came in a stole a tin of the detornaters and they walked around the st spring field st and stour st puting them under bricks and then throwing another one on top to make it go bang
have a nice day every body ,astonion

I'm sure you've all heard the news that the go-ahead has been given for a multi million pound revamp of the station, it occurs to me that we need to create a comprehensive photographic record of what its like NOW as after the revamp it will be HISTORY !! Maybe years down the line ( no pun intended !) people will be looking at those photos and thanking the folks who took them, just as WE do with the pics of the old brum which WE remember all those years ago. So come on ladies and gents, get out yer Nikons and yer Canons etc and lets get cracking !! TIME MARCHES ON !!!!

you are of course quite right colin...it would be nice to go and take some pics of the station...i have to to into town next week so i will make a start...good idea that....

lyn:):)

What ???? a glass cathedral to replace the Pallisades ??? LOL I guess the platforms will still be claustrophobic and underground though -

From what I can see theyre just improving the shopping center, no new platforms or new lines. What with New St station and Digbeth Coach station we a a laughing stock.

I think the inherant problem with new St station is that it was built in a cutting. Without ,probably imposible, amount of re construction I doubt if it will ever be any better.

The far superior Snow Hill was a much better bet but I believe the steelwork was in poor condition, I seem to remember reading this somewhere, unless it was an invention by those who had vested interests elswhere.

Hi,
The revamp at New Street will put a very 21st century gloss - and admittedly a much needed one:rolleyes: - on Brum's main rail link, but in real terms with the site problems I can't see it making a significant difference to the throughput of trains.
One truly significant improvement will be in accessability by physically disabled, in particular those reliant on wheelchair use. I've witnessed the current 'provision' a few times and it's hardly believeable that when the present design was put together it was considered suitable on that score.
I think the inherant problem with new St station is that it was built in a cutting. Without ,probably imposible, amount of re construction I doubt if it will ever be any better.

The far superior Snow Hill was a much better bet but I believe the steelwork was in poor condition, I seem to remember reading this somewhere, unless it was an invention by those who had vested interests elswhere.
The Snow Hill revamp from 1912 was very much restricted in a similar way by the GWR not being able to do anything about widening Snow Hill tunnel or extending the station over Livery Street and/or Snow Hill thoroughfares. Taking the platforms northward beyond Great Charles Street was the only realistic solution then, and it's hard to see how there could have been any better option now if the station in that form had survived.
With internal politics at BR and the financial situation then Snow Hill was pretty much doomed to be left to rot, with the electrification of the route through New Street being the last nail in the coffin. With the lack of significant maintenance it was only a matter of time, the station was even reportedly "falling" down Snow Hill by 1974 - these problems could have been avoided if there had been the finances and forward thinking to invest in it.
I've always felt that Brum deserves two purposeful and architecturally significant rail gateways - we are still the 'second city' aren't we ;) , with this refurbishment we'll have one that at least looks the part:smile2:

Regards, Gerry.

Hey guys, does anyone knows if New St Station shut down its services during 1960s reconstruction or not? Any substitution of traffic were being adopted at that time? I'm really curious about it. Thanks~:)

New Street was operational throughout because the MR section and LNWR sections were rebuilt under a phased programme but at one point during reconstruction there was a critical point when both portions were affected simultaneously. At this point in time the station handled only a few local and cross-country services with Snow Hill and the former GWR route being the main provider of London services.

If you look at my website on New Street you will note the extent of the rebuilding and how limiting it was on operations. Visit https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/bhamnewstreet_part6.htm for a view of the station during this period in the 1960s.

Thank you very much, mikemusson.
You are right, on east side there must be a joint on tracks which is different from the division on west.
I think taking trains in the construction enviornment could be a terrible feeling...

Queens Drive, New St Station under demolition circa 1964. Len. With Thanks to Andrew Doherty.

Last edited:
Heard today on the news that the new drawings for new St station have been Approved. Dek

Hi

The following time line gives some useful dates.
By 1966 it was all completed.
Summer 1961: Construction of the Bull Ring Shopping Centre begins.
1961: The design for the Rotunda is approved and the building begins construction.
June 1962: The outdoor market area in the Bull Ring is opened with 150 stalls.
1962: The Mason Science College on Edmund Street is demolished.
1963: The old Market Hall in the Bull Ring is demolished.
1963: Construction of the BT Tower commences.
29 May 1964: The new Bull Ring Shopping Centre is opened by Prince Philip.
1964: Birmingham New Street station rebuilt.
1965: Construction of the Rotunda is completed.
1965: Construction of Quayside Tower is completed.
1965: Construction of the Post & Mail Building is completed.

Mike Jenks

I saved these pictures before they were hacked.

Attachments

• New Street station..bmp
    511.8 KB · Views: 134
  • New Street station1.bmp
    465.9 KB · Views: 126
Back