• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : Newspaper Archive new issues of local journals

For the 1960s there would be a few papers that could cover Alcester. The Birmingham papers, Coventry Evening Telegraph, Tewksbury Register, Evesham Standard, and a few others. So instead of looking for a paper it would be easier to look for an event. It is also possible that an event in any specific place may not feature in the local papers as the date is missing from the Archive. However it may be reported from afar !

There does seem more than a few to choose from.

I was hoping to see if a marriage had been reported on, relative got wed to a local female publican
sometime in 1961 i believe.

Please feel free to re-locate this post if not in the correct forum.

many thanks..

Free access to the newspaper archive via FMP.
This message appeared on Findmypast this afternoon.
We are deeply saddened this week by the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and extend our deepest sympathies to the royal household at this time. We are commemorating her reign by allowing the public to explore her life and reign through our newspaper archives, entirely free of cost, from Friday 16 September at 10am to Tuesday 20 September at 10am.

Just one small local addition this week
But, also another publication which might be useful. An excellent view of the Weslyan Theological college, Handsworth is posted on another thread from this publication
Building News1854-1855, 1862, 1869-1891

Back