• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newman Bros Coffin Works Fleet Street

I remember visiting a coffin works in Birmingham on a school educational trip.

I often wondered whereabouts in the city it was and now i know.

thank you...

On numerous occasions, during the period after Newman Brothers’ closed and was awaiting restoration, a local passer-by would often make note of seeing the night watchman peering out from one of the many factory windows, only to be informed some while later by employees that there was never a night watchman on duty during this vacant period!
More recently, since opening as a Museum, the Museum Manager was working alone late one night in the “Shroud Room” when the telephone from inside the former 1960’s office next door started ringing. Perfectly normal? Not quite! The phone is not connected to anything other than a motion sensor on the inside office wall, designed to “set-off” the phone when tours walk into the Old Office and pass the sensor. Who or what set off the motion sensor? No-one was inside the office and needless to say, the staff member didn’t rush to pick up the phone to find out!
:eek::cold_sweat:

The Antiques Road Trip episode today (8/12/22 @19.00) on Really channel (17) there was a visit to the Newman Coffin Works. It appears about 17 minutes into the programme. Sarah Hayes talked through the Victorian view of death, with a whistletop tour of a couple of the factory workshops.

Sorry don’t know how you get this on catchup. Viv.

Last edited:
Back