• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newman Bros Coffin Works Fleet Street

When I watched it on TV the other evening they said every worker when they retired had their personalised coffin clothing pillow etc for when they passed away. Glad you enjoyed it Lyn.

NEWMANSFACTORY064.jpg

NEWMANSFACTORY063.jpg

NEWMANSFACTORY067.jpg

NEWMANSFACTORY072.jpg

thats it folks...sorry if ive duplicated a couple of pics but photobucket was on a go slow and i thought they hadnt come through...i took loads more but wont post them all as i dont want to spoil it for those of you who are thinking of having a look around for yourselves...

lyn

hi lynne that pic was taken in what used to be the office and its a ledger book...ive just zoomed in on another pic i took of it and its of goods ordered...noticed that one customer ordered from belfast...

lyn

lynne i forgot this one...pleased with how it tuned out as i had to take a pic of a pic...women working at their machines...date wise going on the hair styles maybe the 40s or 50s and the table in the pic along with others are still there...impossable to take them out of the factory as they were built inside the works so too large to get down the narrow stairs...

NEWMANSFACTORY090-1.jpg

Last edited:
I knew they slung out tons of stuff - cannot believe how empty the place is compared to the original tour a couple of years ago - When we suggested that they keep all the stock and sell them as souvenirs - they didn't believe anyone would want a cofgfin handle etc, and allowed us to take stuff and put a donation in a bucket - I use my coffin handles as door knocker on my Library room!
There were crates and crates of stuff lying everywhere.
I understand that like most museums, they only keep about 10% for display, but in this case, they didn't put the rest into storage - just to scrap!

At least they retained enough to give an idea of the trade.

Brian

hi bri like your idea of coffin handles for your library door lol...bri there is absolutely tons of stuff that has been put into storage for safe keeping which will be bought back into the factory after restoration...what you see in my pics is only the tip of the iceberg..

lyn

Just wonderful Lyn, thank you for taking the trouble to take the pics and then to put them onto the Forum for us all to enjoy. I can't help but think of my dear Grandma Laura working there. I wonder if she had her coffin when the time came?

maggs i would think it highly likey that lauras fittings came from newmans...glad you liked the pics as it just gives us a feeling of the place...even more so if you actually walk round it...

hope to go again when restoration is finished as there will be much more to see..a possable venue for a forum trip...
lyn

Maggs they said on the news the other evening that their shroud etc was a gift to them when they left. Not sure about their coffin though. Jean.

Back