• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newhall Hill

This is New Hall Hill in 1832 "I THINK YOU MEAN NEW HALL STREET WHICH IS ON A HIILL"?

Attachments

• Newhall Hill 1832 Gathering of the Unions.JPG
    Newhall Hill 1832 Gathering of the Unions.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Newhall Hill is a contiuation of Frederick Street down to the Parade(Jewellery quarter)

Thanks John and Aston

Yes its the Hill I'm after. I think the the Road is still there but there is new building around the roundabout at the bottom and '1960/70's building' on the right coming up towards the mish mash at the back of the Town Hall around the base of the library.

Looking at the picture I would think that it is Newhall Hill from the angle of the Town Hall. (But it could be the other corner of the building from Newhall Steet without the buildings in between!)

I don't think that's the Town Hall in that picture - wasn't it the new chapel in Graham Street which George Dawson had just opened? Wasn't the Town Hall in the opposite direction, right behinD the artist?
Peter

I found this picture of the Jewelry quarter.

Attachments

• Hockley  Newhall Hill.jpg
    Hockley Newhall Hill.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 13
the street between the buildings top left is Frederick street the tall chimney is the Pen room and Newhall Hill starts just after the Pen Room
nice picture Postied never seen it before

Frederick St

Attachments

• Hockley Fredrick St.JPG
    Hockley Fredrick St.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 9
Thanks John

Its part of another enquiry that you have already helped with. The Universal Woodworking Company. You found me the pre 1937 Kellys entries for this part of Town. Address is around 56/7 Newhall Hill that was a further expansion into more 'terraced houses'.

I am after a clue as to what size and shape these houses might have been.

Have almost finished a write up of the company into the 1940's/50s when they moved into Helix/scholatic products rather than the older wood and metal production (UWW and Hall Street Metals both Frank Shaw companies working in tandem). Will post when finished.

Back