• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newey Bros. Ltd.

handh

proper brummie kid
I'm researching my family tree and wonder if anyone has any info. on Newey Bros. factory which was situated on the corner of Brearley St. and Summer Lane?
They manufactured hair grips and pins.My father Ken Hopkins worked there for many years from the 40s to the 70s.My elder brother Mike was an employee in the early 60s.
Any help appreciated,
Pete H.

Here is an old advertisement for JC Newey of Brearley Street.

JC Newey.jpg

hi wendy...do you happen to have a date for that advert....thanks for posting it

lyn

Hi I am trying to research Neweys for a different reason. Can you suggest where I might find any info about the family who owned the factory?

J C Newey building is the Grade II listed building in the middle with the Royal coat of arms, seen from Brearley Street, off Summer Lane.

this building has worried me for some time now...cant see it surviving much longer..i have photographed the coat of arms many times and i really hope that if the building is demolished the coat of arms will be saved...

lyn

ell.. grade 2 listed means nothing to me these days..i have long since accepted that listed buildings are never safe from the old ball and chain:)...just been looking though some old photos i put on discs years back and i have some of the inside of neweys...albeit taken from holes in windows and doors....when i have time i will post them

lyn

Hello I started my apprentice ship here about 1969 a training room upstairs was set aside for apprentices to practice for a year before moving into the tool room .from here is went to Hall green. Keith.

On Monday 4th. July 1960 I joined Newey Bros. as a ‘Trainee Executive’ with the then princely salary of £400 p.a. I have in my file the offer letter from Mr. W. Wootton, the Personnel Manager. The title alone was probably enough to tempt me and whilst I quickly realized that I had made a good decision it would be in the years to come that I came to understand that I had made a great decision. I would guess that Newey Bros. was as important to my future as a university degree might be nowadays.
It is because of the importance that time with Newey that I feel I have to record that which I can remember. You might guess from the date that I started there that I am now well into my seventies and I feel a pressing need to record this little piece of Birmingham history. With history in mind it may puzzle some to know that their telephone number was Aston Cross 0151
I was a Trainee Executive in the FPF Dept. (Four Piece Fastener). This was a three storey factory on Brearley Street, opposite the main works and offices on Summer Lane. The General Manager was Mr. C.J Everton, but I reported to his deputy Mr. T. W. Balmond, who was soon to become Production Manager. I still have a Parker fountain pen that I bought from Mr. Balmond.
It was a strict Company rule that all executives were addressed formally. So the two above will for me be forever Mr. Everton and Mr. Balmond. I, in turn, was always similarly formally addressed, even at 19 years of age. It is with sadness that my colleagues in the FPF office from that time are now but a vague memory but I remember Margaret (Giles?), Sheila, and Charlene. Charlene was the niece of Mr. Wootton, the Personnel Manager. I also had an opposite number in a Mr. J. R. Smith.
Whilst names are in my mind, there was a General Foreman, Bill Hughes (I find myself hesitating over that name), the Stores Manager was Fred Wells; looking after packing and despatch was Audrey.
On the top floor was a dept. producing Tape fasteners (four piece fasteners put onto narrow tape and was used mainly by the furnishing industry) and Cami- Catch, a little loop of fabric with a fastener that was used on dress shoulder seams to keep bra straps out of sight; probably not too popular these days. The foreman there was Charlie Hinett and the reason that I describe the products of that dept. is because I was assigned production manager duties for that dept. as part of my training.
The FPF factory was not self-contained and some components and processes came from the workshops in the main Summer Lane building. Just two names come to me from there; a Ken Hopkins? who, I think, ran the Plating Shop, and Des Round who ran the Press Shop. There was a smaller Press Shop in the FPF factory, located just beneath the first floor offices and it was weeks after joining before my ears learnt to distinguish spoken words as the presses hammered away. I think to this day I could tell whether the presses were running brass or steel. Eyelets were not produced by Newey, but were bought in from George Tucker Ltd.
Obviously, there were no such things then as keyboards or computers. No texts or e-mails, not even fax. Everything was letter or phone call. In my first week I found with great anxiousness that I was expected to dictate to a shorthand typist. I had never done or encountered this in my life and I asked Mr. Balmond to allow me to sit and listen to him dictate before I in turn made my first attempt.
The name above all others that will never be forgotten was the Director Mr. R. C. Smith under whose auspices the FPF Dept. fell.. He had worked his way up and carried his position with pride. He drove a Ford Consul, and always wore (outside, of course) a bowler hat. He knew the FPF Dept. like that back of his hand and after office hours before going to the garage to collect his car he would often be found doing a solo factory tour. He had a wonderful knack of recognizing an underlying problem from the incoming post.
Each morning either Mr. Everton or Mr. Balmond reported to Mr. Smith to collect the post. Any letter that to his eagle eye looked like inefficiency or error was marked with his initials and that letter with a report had to be back with him that afternoon. It was always with apprehension that when in turn you were allocated a batch of post to action you found a letter with a big RCS circled on it.
There was no competition in the fastener market at that time from China, Japan, or Hong Kong. The only competitors of which I was aware were Prym in Germany, and Carr in Nottingham. We were far and away the biggest supplier in the UK with many hundreds of customers.
As such each day could be very stressful with a constant heavy flow of letters and phone calls and much of one’s time was spent as a progress clerk. These days it would be described as a pressured environment. On one particular day a particularly angry call was taken by Mr. Everton and mid-way through the call he suffered a nervous breakdown. I could see into his office as he shook in his chair and the phone dropped, but as a naïve 19 / 20 year old I had little idea as to what I should do to console a man in such a state. The mature women in the office rushed in and took charge.
Mr. Everton recovered in the weeks to come and returned to work in a less stressful environment elsewhere and Mr. Balmond took over as FPF Production Manager,
The post was an important duty of us trainee / junior executives although then we all saw it as a burden rather than a privilege. There was a rota so that each morning before the offices opened a post team was formed under the supervision of a senior manager. The post for the whole of Newey and Tayler was opened by the team.
Every letter, unless marked private etc. etc. which was passed to the supervising manager for decision, was opened and read and put in the appropriate dept. file. Anything of apparent seriousness was passed to the supervising manager. The post was then taken to the appropriate Directors, and so the morning post process went on, ending with perhaps a letter on my desk with the dreaded RCS on it. It was of course a privilege and an important learning curve as we were seeing and reading much of the correspondence of what was then a major company.
Other than R C. Smith the only other Directors that I recall were the Sales Director, Mr. Iliffe, and of course the MD. Mr. Martin Newey. Neither ever acknowledged nor spoke to me in the entire time I was with the Company. I did not expect it. These men were amongst the gods.
Another ‘burden’, but of course once again a valuable learning process, was the annual stock take, always on a weekend! Missing or avoiding it, including taking holidays was not allowed. In one of the FPF stock takes I was allocated a team of men and a section of the stored component stock and set about weighing. Scores of sacks of quite some weight of brass or steel components, the shop floor men doing the heavy lifting, I having to organize the sequence, recording the weight reading and the arrange the stacking of counted / uncounted sacks.
Whilst the only country that sticks in my mind in Sweden there was a good amount of foreign business and I learnt the significance of such vital initials as CIF FOB and LOC. Once again a demonstration of the breadth of experience I was getting.
After 5 years I left, and a couple of weeks after I’d left, a deputation of managers and colleagues met me in a town centre pub to try and tempt me back to the post of Production Manager. I do not record this as some kind of boast but as an indication that Newey Bros, the FPF dept. and I were a happy blend and perhaps I had put my learning there to good account.
There are other memories, but too fragmented to show any further light on a distant past. No other names have come back to my mind.
I can only say in conclusion, thank you Newey Bros. It was a privilege.

hello richard and welcome to the forum...what wonderful memories you have written and a fantastic testament to newey bros...if anything more springs to mind please let us know as our members photos and memories play a massive part in keeping the forum running...here is a street view of the building in brearley st complete with the iconic by royal appointment statue which i would guess you know is still there..i am moving this thread to the factories section of the forum for you...

lyn

A great memoir, thanks, Richard. It will strike a chord with anyone who joined a Midlands engineering company at that stage, before the world moved on and we all had to find ways to change with it.

Welcome to the Forum.

Chris

hello richard and welcome to the forum...what wonderful memories you have written and a fantastic testament to newey bros...if anything more springs to mind please let us know as our members photos and memories play a massive part in keeping the forum running...here is a street view of the building in brearley st complete with the iconic by royal appointment statue which i would guess you know is still there..i am moving this thread to the factories section of the forum for you...

lyn

Thanks for that Lyn. That photo is of the main Press Shop and Plating Shop which were in the extension behind the main offices. That was on the north side of Brearley Street which was divided by Summer Lane. The FPF dept. was on the south end of Brearley St. on the corner with Summer Lane with the main office block opposite.

Just purchased 2 little pots, bought as ash trays. Only about 2 inches wide, silver coloured with a horse shoe on top, cannot upload any pics, stamped made in England but they have what appears to be a Newey press stud in the bottom. Press stud is stamped Newey England, just wondering if anyone new what they where made for. Thanks

hi winder and welcome...well neweys certainly made press studs...is there any chance you could post us a photo of the little pots

lyn

Hope they are clear enough

Attachments

• 20200327_120207.jpg
    20200327_120207.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200327_120253.jpg
    20200327_120253.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 18
Does anyone remember the work at home from Newey's....it consisted of looping a ribbon through a press stud of some kind. Our mom used to do them by the 1000's, Didn't pay very much...something like a 1/2 penny per 100, maybe not even that much. I'm not sure what they were for, but I do feel it was something to do with ladies suspenders..
Dave A

hi winder and welcome...well neweys certainly made press studs...is there any chance you could post us a photo of the little pots

lyn
In the 1950's my soon to be father in law worked at Winson Green "Mental" Hospital and his patients did piece work for Neweys putting fasteners into cards. To make the process easier I made up some jigs which put the fasteners in the right location to be pressed into the cards.

Hi, I've joined this site today as I was curiously researching the Newey Bros Ltd company as I found a little piece of their history today whilst meandering round a car boot sale. I happened to come across two sets of unused hair grips in their original packaging and wanted to find out about them and when they were manufactured, they have a picture of a Eunice Gayson on one of them and they are called Blend Rite Hair grips which were supplied in different colours to blend with your hair. Really appreciate any information about them as they are great little curios.

Hi, I've joined this site today as I was curiously researching the Newey Bros Ltd company as I found a little piece of their history today whilst meandering round a car boot sale. I happened to come across two sets of unused hair grips in their original packaging and wanted to find out about them and when they were manufactured, they have a picture of a Eunice Gayson on one of them and they are called Blend Rite Hair grips which were supplied in different colours to blend with your hair. Really appreciate any information about them as they are great little curios.
welcome chrissy....could you post a photo of the hair grips please...nice little find

lyn

A few items from my sewing box -
Newey hook and eyes bought from Woolworths 59p. Made in England and barcode on the back.
Newey Dorcas pins by Newey Goodman 83p.DY4 8AH post code. Metric weight.
Remains of a card of press studs maker unknown printed with a coach and horses.

Attachments

• 9B0D5D1B-7BC2-4DB1-AB92-1CBB126255C7.jpeg
    9B0D5D1B-7BC2-4DB1-AB92-1CBB126255C7.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 14
Back