• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

It could be one of the houses in the triangle enclosed by Hingeston St, Clissold St, and Prescott St as show below.
Image1939x.JPG

The aerial photo in post 440 was taken in 1939 and does not show gable-ends close to George St West. In 1940 the "top" shed was built which had gable ends identical to those in the photo (see https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhd677.htm , which also includes photo). Proof of the presence of this is also in the picture below taken by me at a time close to that of the original picture of the houses. The end of the shed shows up well. this would agree with the picture of the houses being George St west.

0__Hockley_goods_yard_looking_towards_All_saints_road__part.jpg

Cracking pic of the front of the houses in #472 - Very reminiscent of my last days in Hockley - There were just 2 families left, side by side with half a house at each end, all forlorn in the midst of a demolition site! At least we could see our house from half a mile away - nothing else standing except the White House!
Brian

Cracking pic of the front of the houses in #472 - Very reminiscent of my last days in Hockley - There were just 2 families left, side by side with half a house at each end, all forlorn in the midst of a demolition site! At least we could see our house from half a mile away - nothing else standing except the White House!
Brian

Agreed, Brian - the sunlight raking the textures makes a magnificent picture of dereliction. That's another one for the book...

In this picture looking up Pitsford St, you have Icknield St going under the bridge and Carolinas photo is of the building that is behind the car parked on the right. (the 2 storey building). Hope this helps. This photo was taken from the corner of Warstone Lane cemetery, you can just about see the fence.

Attachments

• Pitsford St 2.jpg
    Pitsford St 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 57
The aerial photo in post 440 was taken in 1939 and does not show gable-ends close to George St West. In 1940 the "top" shed was built which had gable ends identical to those in the photo (see https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhd677.htm , which also includes photo). Proof of the presence of this is also in the picture below taken by me at a time close to that of the original picture of the houses. The end of the shed shows up well. this would agree with the picture of the houses being George St west.

0__Hockley_goods_yard_looking_towards_All_saints_road__part.jpg

Mikejee your picture shows All Saints School in the middle next to that post, you also have All Saints Rd on the extreme right. I have attached a copy off google earth showing All Saints school circled red and where I think you was standing when you took the picture, circled blue.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 26
In this picture looking up Pitsford St, you have Icknield St going under the bridge and Carolinas photo is of the building that is behind the car parked on the right. (the 2 storey building). Hope this helps. This photo was taken from the corner of Warstone Lane cemetery, you can just about see the fence.

Nice picture. I hadn't realised that Scott's use a rare spelling for their oats: 'porage'.

Here is a new one, though I did ask the question some time ago, with no luck. After the amazing success with most of the previous photos we might be lucky this time.

This photo was taken amongst ones in the Cheapside, Moseley Road area, almost certainly on the same day . The one before was The dog & Partridge, on the corner of Moseley St & Birchall St. the one after was at the corner of Cheapside and Lombard st. Below the picture is shown a map c 1952 showing the two points from where the photos either sidi were taken, and the area around.

32B~0.jpg

map_c_1952_area_around_mosely_st_birchall_st_showing_points_where_photos_taken.jpg

Mike I don't remember seeing that one before, but what I will say is that this one of yours looks like the building opposite the bottom of this drive or passageway or whatever it is. So find the one and you will also find the other.

Attachments

• Unidentified Cheapside Area .jpg
    Unidentified Cheapside Area .jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
Phil
The buildings seem very similar, but I think the distance between the top floor and 1st floor windows compared to the height of the top windows seems slightly larger to me in the photo 491

Last edited:
Mike

I don't know, I think it would be a bit of a coincidence to have two similar buildings with a chain link fence adjoining in close proximity might the differences be down to camera angle?.

I remember when we first discussed the photo that I put up you said it must be in the same location as the one we are looking for now. Whatever I think it has to be one of the streets that run in the Deritend to Highgate direction because they are all on the flat and the ones that run from Moseley Rd to Sherlock St are all on the hill except at the bottom after Rea St.

To support Phil's theory that this is the same building, note in the shot from the alley a column of brickwork between the building itself and the chain-link fence. This remnant of demolition is also visible in the shot from the street.

I have a slight problem, in that the version I sent phil has a slightly wider view than any version I can find on my computer. The on eon my computer is slightly cropped on the left hand side. i will have to find the original and re-scan it. That said, I enlarged two parts of the photo at the far left of the building, and lightened "Phil's" photo. At first I thought they could not be the same as the alleyway phot seemed to have a side building with the roodf sloping towards the road, whereas the other had a roof sloping at right angles to that, away from the building. But with the enlargement the alleyway photo has two tanks on top of a building and an angular line which could be a roof sloping away from the building. Hope that makes sense to you. See below:

Unidentified_Cheapside_Areaenlargedpart.jpg

32C.jpg

I read the roofs like this: The angled line we see from both the alley and the street is the sloping roof of the brick projection. This is best identified in the 'three-quarter view' from the street, directly above the chain-link fence. The other roof - beyond and above this projection, seen from the alley - is beyond the left edge of the frame in the shot from the street.

Mike

If you look at your first enlarged section from the view down the passageway, you will see that there is indeed a sloping structure in front of the building that you point out which could be behind the first structure and out of view on the photo I posted.

In reality it makes no difference because even if the two photos relate to each other then we still have to identify the street, and I was unable to do that a couple of years ago, and I'm still no wiser now.

I am in agreemnet with you Phil regarding the likelyhood of them being the same, though perhaps did not make this clear.

I think I have solved it Phil. Took the photo of the building, lightened it , enlarged and messed around and looked at the sign on the side. thought it looked like Toye at first, but none round there. Then thought Tonks and there was a Tonks (Birmingham )Ltd, Star Waorks, Moseley st in 1962 between Birchall st and Lombard st. Could not find an alleyway on any maps that corresponded to a single building opposite, but the Works also went onto Birchall St, and there is an alleyway there with a building next to some houses (which likely were demolished pre my photo). The enlarged sign , and the map showing the alleyway (with green arrow) is below. Do you agree?

14part.jpg

map_c_1952_area_around_mosely_st_birchall_st_showing_points_where_photos_taken_and_alleyway.jpg

Mike

I can see no flaw in that reasoning, as for your previous post it was probably my misunderstanding and not yours. Great so we get two solved for the price of one. What about putting "The Stores" up next because that is one I would like to see solved.

Back