• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New unseen photos of brum

the old theatre royal new st..
index.php
I really like this pic with a bloke standing outside the theatre holding a baby and Loo Bloom the tailors, they seemed to have quite a few shops in town. I bought my first made-to-measure suit from them in 1954 and remember having to go in for a preliminary fitting where the tailor half ripped the suit apart then re-pinned it. When it was finished it fitted perfectly, couldn't wait to go out wearing it ...such memories ...
smile-new.png

Last edited:
View attachment 97789
I'm not sure if this helps or hinders - this postcard is postmarked 1908 and shows the Children's Hospital in Broad St. Looking at the potted history on the Children's hospital site, this seems to have been the isolation building.
https://www.bch.nhs.uk/corporate/our-history

The building in this postcard later became the Orthapaedic. I understood that the Children's moved from here straight to the one on Ladywood Road - now Ladywood Middleway

I was an out patient at this hospital in about 1946 as a child with orthopaedic problems. Treatment involved picking up glass marbles with my toes designed to strengthen ankles.

post 68 the corner shop on the left was browns hardware worked there after school and Saturdays serving paraffin and coal and delivering it all round Ladywood
carrying it on my shoulder hard work all for 10 bob a week and boy did I stink of it could never get rid of the smell but 10 bobs 10 bob eh
and thanks lynn great photos and memories

Hi Lynn,
Just where do you get them they are remarkable all the years I have been a member on this very forum and it is some years
I have not seen that one and there as been dozens,and dozens of others you are producing to us all else Rican say is you are a remarklby person and thank you for your hard work in what you are doing and making us Happy and bringing our memories back
And incidently the shop of Latham's was previously my family tree and history as it was held by the jelfs my grand father and is father and brothers all five of them had the shop which every body knows was on the rocky lane Aston cross from early 1900 to 1954/55 when they sold it to Latham's
And the number eight bus drivers filled up there Gerry cans for the rest of there journey around the eight and drank it at the clock out side the bridge pub monument
Road Ladywood thanks Lynn for the memories ,, Alan,, Astonian,,,,,,,

What an amazing range of photos - soooo many memories!!!
I loved the one of Bingley Hall: I have often told my children of how my Dad ran across the road to catch my balloon which had blown away and then to see the place as I remember it ......... words fail me.
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

kunzles at union st

Not sure about this but the Kunzle Restaurant building has hints of medieval architecture. But is it mock? The windows are odd, maybe then it's just mock medieval? Great photo Lyn (as are all the others on here) A view of a old Union Street I've never seen. Viv.

Not sure about this but the Kunzle Restaurant building has hints of medieval architecture. But is it mock? The windows are odd, maybe then it's just mock medieval? Great photo Lyn (as are all the others on here) A view of a old Union Street I've never seen. Viv.

morning viv i thought exactly the same thing about this one...cant get my bearings..what is that large white building is it marks and spencers??

morning viv i thought exactly the same thing about this one...cant get my bearings..what is that large white building is it marks and spencers??

Yes Lyn. Looks like M & S to me too. The building beyond Kunzles seem to have gone, so I assume this was shortly before the Martineau Square development (think it's called something else these days). Viv.

Morning Alan. Did the Jelfs have the shop in Kingstanding too '(corner of Kingstanding Road and Dyas Road) ? I remember it very well as Lathams. Went in there very often. Viv.

Yes Lyn. Looks like M & S to me too. The building beyond Kunzles seem to have gone, so I assume this was shortly before the Martineau Square development (think it's called something else these days). Viv.

thanks viv my problem is i post photos then tend to get totally lost lol

lyn

top of snow hill and steelhouse lane..taken from boots at the top of bull st..steelhouse lane is to the right..

My Mom was the manageress of that Whimpy Bar when it opened and then went to the one in Broad St when that one opened. I loved them, guess I had to!

thanks for the correction bob...dont know why i thought it was a cinema..

lyn
I have been searching through my books, and have found information regarding this building (The Palace ) and (The Lyric). I attach pictures of both.

Attachments

• The Lyric.jpg
    The Lyric.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 91
  • The Palace.jpg
    The Palace.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 91
many thanks happyguy i thought that the building opposite springhill library was originally a cinema but could not recall that it was called the palace cinema

many thanks for clearing that one up i have now edited my original post

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Happy guy you have made my day and cheered me up to the Heavens (Brilliant such Happy memories and days
Best wishes and thanks again for the cracking picture Astonian,,,,

Hi viv
Yes that was Raymond jelfs father William whom had that he lived down the road from there William jelf
And then he took on the Aston cross one but he could not Handle it and he sold it to Ernest held ( my grand father ). My mothers father she was there only child
He had one in Victoria road Aston oppersite the Victoria road police station and when my mom married my father he got them to run the shop
But he kept interfering with them trying to tell them how to run the business so my father at the end of the day told him get some one else to do it
So he got another member of the family to run it but later dad ran the fish and chip at Aston cross for him
He asked him to run the coffee shop as well next door but dad said no and stuck with the chippie and ran the golden cross as well for doddds
And our cousin Barry Phelps ran the business for him and he had lodgers living above the premises mind. ( mind you thou )
They was all women lodgers and he owned a house behind the shops and a two story ware house along with provisions
And the crockery hire business right up until 1970
Have a good day viv , best wishes as always Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Hi viv
Yes that was Raymond jelfs father William whom had that he lived down the road from there William jelf
And then he took on the Aston cross one but he could not Handle it and he sold it to Ernest held ( my grand father ). My mothers father she was there only child
He had one in Victoria road Aston oppersite the Victoria road police station and when my mom married my father he got them to run the shop
But he kept interfering with them trying to tell them how to run the business so my father at the end of the day told him get some one else to do it
So he got another member of the family to run it but later dad ran the fish and chip at Aston cross for him
He asked him to run the coffee shop as well next door but dad said no and stuck with the chippie and ran the golden cross as well for doddds
And our cousin Barry Phelps ran the business for him and he had lodgers living above the premises mind. ( mind you thou )
They was all women lodgers and he owned a house behind the shops and a two story ware house along with provisions
And the crockery hire business right up until 1970
Have a good day viv , best wishes as always Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Thanks Alan. The Kingstanding shop must have been in the family from about 1930ish then. It would have been built as part of the parade of shops reaching right around the corner and which carried on down along the Kingstabding Road. It would have served the population moving into the newly developed area in the inter-war period. I loved that shop - mum used to buy net curtains form there. She got her 'Hollywood style" nets from there, the ones with frills that crossed over in the middle and had tie-backs. Even the tie-backs were frilled. They had extra fullness, a symbol of having paid a fair bob or two for them. It was my mum's nod to being a modern housewife - or maybe just trying to put the neighbours noses out of joint. I liked the shop because it sold haberdashery and material - and once a lover of haberdashery, always a lover of haberdashery! Viv.

Wonderful memories Thanks so much. made an old Brit very happy. John Crump noe in Parker, Colorado USA

bull ring from st martins...top left is market hall

Hope you don't mind Lyn but I've sharpened up/lightened the Market Hall photo to try and work out what's in front of the Fish Market. Bit hard to work out. Any ideas anyone? Also this view would have been taken after the Markeypt Hall roof was blown off, but it still looks in good shape on the outside. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Back