• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Summer Street

D

Darthdc

I'm interested to know if anyone recognises any of the names listed here. It is from the 1939-40 electoral roll for New Summer Street, Newtown. This is the end of the street by Cecil Street/New Town Row. I'm just interested in knowing how my grandparents got on in this neighbourhood.

Gertrude Tinley 93/95
Sidney Olds Snr 93
Frances Olds 93
Sidney Olds Jr 93
Idris Thomas Williams 95
Eva Novello Williams 95
Thomas H Hurley 107
Ada M Hurley 107
Frank Turner 109
Violet E Turner 109
George C Caines 121
Mary E Caines 121
John Birch 123
John Tooth 132
Rose Tooth 132
James A Hodgson 132
Clara E Hodgson 132
Kenneth Stanley 130
Alice Stanley 130
William J Garner 128
Gertrude A Garner 128
Daniel Bruton 124
Lily A Bruton 124
Thomas Hasson 122
Elizabeth E Hasson 122
Horace J Field 120 My Gt Uncle
Alice Field 120 My Gt Aunt (sister of Ellen Cook at 116)
William A Wheeler 118
Esther Wheeler 118
Alfred R Wheeler 118
Thomas Cook 116 My Paternal grandfather
Ellen Cook 116 My Paternal grandmother
Florence Dolan 1 Back 116
Richard T Gough 2 Back 116
Florence M Gough 2 Back 116
Edith E Caldicott 114 (godparent of 2 of my uncles)
Ada M A Scott 112
George McGilloway 112
George Porter 104
Annie Porter 104
Joseph E Hawkins 102
Violet Hawkins 102
Alma E Chapman 100
Frank Robinson 98
Robert Shepherd 98
Hilda S Shepherd 98
Charles Copper 96

It was at this time that my grandparents moved to Tyseley (twin uncles born in August 1939, my dad arrived 3 years later)

A few years earlier, a Hilda Nutt was living at 1 back 116. She was godmother to an aunt of mine.

I lived at 2bk116 New Summer Street,in 1956/8,opposite the garage, on the corner with Cecil Street.

Well I'm looking for people from the 30's. Bizarre but all addresses that are of importance to me are now carparks. This includes 45/46 Cecil St - at the junction with Hanley St where my Cook gt grandparents lived.
The address you mention was actually home to the Fields, just a few years prior to this, before they moved a few doors down. They eventually moved to Moorsom St. My dad tells me that he used visit his aunt with his mom. This meant catching the 44 and 33 buses (Tyseley - Town - Newtown). Unfortunately I haven't got any photos from that time so I don't know much about the area except for its current state.

Darthdc. My dad used to know a family in Summer Lane called
Grady or O' Grady - but have no idea where abouts. Miriam.

I know New Summer St is quite long - walked along it, looks a tip, like the whole area. Was once all back to backs then turned to factories, now in as bad a state as the houses before them. I don't have much family who can tell me what it was like then. My oldest uncle was just 7 when the family moved to Tyseley. My oldest aunt and dad's oldest surviving sister would know more but is so aloof, she denies being born in that street.

Hi i was just reading your thread to my husband and his familywere from that end of New Summer Street,his mum lived in Cecil street there surname being Wheeler and his dad lived in:) Miller street (Barnes) we donot have alot of information on them but i will watch to see if you get any good replies :)

The problem I have is that I never ever knew my paternal grandparents. My granddad Thomas Cook died in 1952 (my dad was just 10 at the time) and my gran died almost 20 years later to the day in 1972. I arrived early 1978. I would just like to know if anyone knew them while they lived there. They were at 116 from 1922 - 1939. They apparently lived at 46 Cecil St before then (their firstborn daughter has that address on her birth certificate, though her baptism states an address in Hospital St). I haven't got a clue exactly where they lived prior to then (they married in 1919 at St Georges - both living supposedly at 9ct 9 Hospital St). My gran's parents were living in Oxygen St at the time and her father was among the last to live in that street.

I noticed the name Tooth just wondered if they were related to the other Tooth that Lizzy Baker started only it is an unusual name?. I think it was a Brian Anthony Tooth. Jean.

Got a copy of the electoral roll for 1933/34 - same area.

Here are the differences:

107 New Summer St
Ada Maria Hurley
Ada Veronica Hurley
Frank Farmer
Violet Farmer

109 New Summer St
William Henry Boxley
Marjorie Boxley

111 New Summer St (not on 1939/40)
Herbert Wade
Beatrice Wade
Sabina Smith

113 New Summer St (not on 1939/40)
Edward Mahon
Mary Ann Mahon

1 Court 13
Florence Dolan - living at 1 back 116 in 1939
Frank Dolan

2 Court 13
Alfred Archer Parker
Elsie Maria Parker

115 New Summer St
William Bailey
Mary Bailey

117 New Summer St
Charles James Lines
Eliza Lines

119 New Summer St
William Cresswell
Sarah Ann Cresswell
James Ward
Amy Ward

121 New Summer St
William Cresswell
Ada Cresswell

123 New Summer St
John Birch

132 New Summer St
Florence Rose Cooper
Horace Edgar Cooper

130 New Summer St
William John Froggatt
Eliza Ann Froggatt
William W L M Froggatt
Alice Marion Froggatt

128 New Summer St
Lucy Elizabeth Broadhead
John Broadhead

124 New Summer St
William Rice
Emily Rice

122 New Summer St
Thomas Hasson
Elizabeth Ellen Hasson

120 New Summer St
John Arthur Horden
Elizabeth Horden

118 New Summer St
William Alfred Wheeler
Esther Wheeler

116 New Summer St
Thomas Cook
Ellen Cook

1 Back 116 New Summer St
Sabina Coulsen
Harold Nutt
Hilda Nutt

2 Back 116 New Summer St
Horace Joseph Field
Alice Field

114 New Summer St
Ernest Caldicott
Edith Elizabeth Caldicott

112 New Summer St
Laura Elizabeth Hutchinson
Lavinia Hutchinson

110 New Summer St
Ernest Sketchley
Rose Ellen Sketchley
Harry Sketchley
Rose Sketchley
May Sketchley

108 New Summer St
Theresa Mason
Alfred James Haynes
Lilian Frances Haynes

Thats all - just photocopied the one page. The index is St Marys Ward, Duddeston, Polling District 125 if anyone wants to look further.
What I want to know is why my gran Ellen Cook doesn't show on the register until 1928 (at the age of 30 - she was born 1898 and married in 1919)

hi there i believe my granparents lived in new summer street rose sketchley ernest,sketchley they had a'barrow' selling fruit later built up the business and gran owned 4 shops one at the corner of newtown row adjioned to trevor bufton butchers another in kettlehouse rd (or lane) kingstanding run by my lovely uncle sid ,one in bracebridge street miller street end --run by my dad stan, another in rocky lane great barr run by my uncle harry anyone remember any of these please let me know

Hi bgs, I remember Ray Sketchley I always thought it was his shop on the corner of Newtown Row and Aston Brook Street. I also remember Jean who I think was Ray's sister when I knew Jean in the 1950s the family had a greengrocers in Church Lane, Aston. Are they related to you?

ray was my cousin -illigitamate son of may sketchley he ran the shop for my gran who then gave it him, yes my uncle sid ran church lane shop, jean if i have the correct one as there were 2 was my mom married to stanley he had the shop in bracebridge street, ray died last year my mum 25 years ago dad 22 years ago and sid about 10 years not sure does anyone know or have photos of bracebridge street or even better of my granparents i'd be so grateful

new_summer_street_jh__.jpg

i think the first pic is an inside shot of the courtyard showing in the 2nd pic..

Lyn
There is another very similar photo, with kids outside, but not clear enough to see if they are the same ones, though it looks similar . I have tried to make it a bit clearer but not much help
Mike
Newtown2BNew2BSummer2BSt2BBrighton2BPlace2B1905A.jpg

Paul thats because paper was re used and there was no plastic bags and packaging. Why people don't use bins today is beyond me.

Smashing photo Stitcher.

Thanky you Wendy.
Hello Paul, when we travel over the top of Frankley hill on our to the Bromsgrove areaI am disgusted at the number of take-away containers and plastic cups that litter both sides of the road. One day the area will spotless, then it deteriorates over a number of weeks until it is in a dreadful state again.

How lovely to see my husbands Great Grandparents on the above . They where William and Esther Wheeler 118 New Summer Street. thankyou .

I'm interested to know if anyone recognises any of the names listed here. It is from the 1939-40 electoral roll for New Summer Street, Newtown. This is the end of the street by Cecil Street/New Town Row. I'm just interested in knowing how my grandparents got on in this neighbourhood.

Gertrude Tinley 93/95
Sidney Olds Snr 93
Frances Olds 93
Sidney Olds Jr 93
Idris Thomas Williams 95
Eva Novello Williams 95
Thomas H Hurley 107
Ada M Hurley 107
Frank Turner 109
Violet E Turner 109
George C Caines 121
Mary E Caines 121
John Birch 123
John Tooth 132
Rose Tooth 132
James A Hodgson 132
Clara E Hodgson 132
Kenneth Stanley 130
Alice Stanley 130
William J Garner 128
Gertrude A Garner 128
Daniel Bruton 124
Lily A Bruton 124
Thomas Hasson 122
Elizabeth E Hasson 122
Horace J Field 120 My Gt Uncle
Alice Field 120 My Gt Aunt (sister of Ellen Cook at 116)
William A Wheeler 118
Esther Wheeler 118
Alfred R Wheeler 118
Thomas Cook 116 My Paternal grandfather
Ellen Cook 116 My Paternal grandmother
Florence Dolan 1 Back 116
Richard T Gough 2 Back 116
Florence M Gough 2 Back 116
Edith E Caldicott 114 (godparent of 2 of my uncles)
Ada M A Scott 112
George McGilloway 112
George Porter 104
Annie Porter 104
Joseph E Hawkins 102
Violet Hawkins 102
Alma E Chapman 100
Frank Robinson 98
Robert Shepherd 98
Hilda S Shepherd 98
Charles Copper 96

It was at this time that my grandparents moved to Tyseley (twin uncles born in August 1939, my dad arrived 3 years later)

A few years earlier, a Hilda Nutt was living at 1 back 116. She was godmother to an aunt of mine.

It’s possible Frank Robinson was related to my grandmother, she was at 45 Hospital Street in 1939, her name was Florence Robinson x

Our family lived at number 14 Brighton Place until 1940, then my dad was allocated a council house in Hall Green. Our parents first child was girl born in 1928 but who died aged one month after being Christened Kathleen, and was burried in Warstone Lane cemetery on dad's 23rd birthday.

They went on to have three sons - Edwin, Tom and me, but they have all passed away now, and Brighton Place is of course now just a distant memory - yet I still remember the commeradrie of all the neighbours and how we helped each other cope with the poverty of the time - which the trappings of our modern society have done nothing to replace.

Yes, we may have money, cars and holidays but somehow I can only look back to those days when people had genuine kindness and concern for each other which is too difficult to convey in words.

My daughter is a judge now, awash with money and currently on holiday in Egypt - but how could that ever compare to being given an orange and some kaylie, then being taken to the Lickeys on the tram by the sunday school?

Oh I couldn't agree more Sten. I have a granddaughter who is a Scientist (Microbiologist Immunologist) a grandson who is IT for the BC council another granddaughter who is a tattoo artist and never out of work and the fourth Alex who is severely Autistic God bless him. xx

Back