• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Statue .

Betty Hopper

master brummie
Hello, I was just watching the news and it seems that the Ikon gallery are searching for a " Birmingham Family " to display as a statue.
This reminded me ' vaguely ' of another statue which stood in Broad Street. - I think somewhere by Centenary Square.
and I think there was some controversy over it. Did someone burn it or something>
Anyway this has set me wondering what happened to it???????
I suppose it could still be there as it is many years since I was able to get to Birmingham.
Hope you are all fit & well.
Betty.

Hello Betty, you are right it did get destroyed by fire! There's nothing left of it now, I think there was a photo posted of it recently.
rosie.

This was it Betty. Didn't think it was possible to set fire to a statue. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375708904.062277.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375708913.216739.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375708920.698575.jpg

I was trying to remember the name of it, should have remembered "Forward"!
I would have thought it would have taken more than a match to burn it though, it was some sort of resin I suppose.
Thanks for the photo Viv. Perhaps they will move the other statue over when they demolish the building that used to be the Register Office?
rosie.

Be interesting to see if the Boulton/Murdoch/Watt statue is moved as it's been some time; article was ten years old, 2003 ! Or maybe it will be moved when the new library is completed. Viv.

Be interesting to see if the Boulton/Murdoch/Watt statue is moved as it's been some time; article was ten years old, 2003 ! Or maybe it will be moved when the new library is completed. Viv.
No it wasn't placed in that position but in it's previous spot (i think) outside what was once the registry office..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjt208/4827810766/

D
oes say on here though that it could be relocated..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton,_Watt_and_Murdoch

[URL]https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/public-art/boulton-watt-murdoch
[/URL]

I hope not, that is where it was originally erected about 1955/1956 I was at the College of Commerce at the time, the original use of this building . The statues were put in store for a very long time and then were re-erected in the new gold colour and I sincerely hope they stay here in their original spot. I think they look lovely. I wrote to the Birmingham Mail when I found out they were in store and they didn't seem to know what to do with them, so leave them be!!!!!!!!!

I believe the statue which was burnt (which I personally never liked) was fibre glass or similar - certainly not conventional material such as stone or marble. Now I do like the Boulton/Murdoch/Watt statute and always have done. Eric

I hope not, that is where it was originally erected about 1955/1956 I was at the College of Commerce at the time, the original use of this building . The statues were put in store for a very long time and then were re-erected in the new gold colour and I sincerely hope they stay here in their original spot. I think they look lovely. I wrote to the Birmingham Mail when I found out they were in store and they didn't seem to know what to do with them, so leave them be!!!!!!!!!
Agree, here's a better shot..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peteashton/8930259898/

This is what the city had to say about the "Forward" statue :-
"One of Birmingham's most controversial works of art was unveiled in June 1991 in the centre of the new Centenary Square.
Cast in polyester resin, it represented the march of Birmingham from its smokey industrial past into the future. It was a work of art that repaid close attention. Figures included Joseph Chamberlain with his monocle and Josiah Mason, founder of the University, with an armful of books. The Lady of the Arts, from the city's coat of arms, blew a kiss to the past, while an actress curtsied to the Repertory Theatre.

The formula on the shoulder of the leading figure referred to DNA, representing the continuing advance of scientific discovery. The Birmingham-educated scientist, Maurice Wilkins, shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1962 for work on DNA.

The sculptor was the late Raymond Mason, one of Birmingham's most famous artists. Surprisingly, this was the first home commission for an artist with work in Canada, the United States and France.

Unfortunately, at lunchtime on 17 April 2003, the statue was irreparably damaged, by fire. It was later removed."

As with a lot of local monuments it was popular with some - lots of kids used to climb all over it maybe that's what they mean by close attention - but not others.

Hello,Trust me to be confused and get the story wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought the statue the Ikon gallery were refering to was of a Birmingham family, which I now have a faint memory of. It was a horrible yellowy colour and not very tall so very easy for the kids to play on.
Several of you, including the Council, seem to be talking about a different statue. Having mentioned Joseph Chamberlain etc. this is not of a family.
It is obviously a statue of prestiges people of Birminham and puts a different meaning to Forward. and highly unlikely for two statues to go on fire.
{ Have I now confused all of you??????????????????????????????????//
Mind you I have enjoyed all the information that has been posted.
Betty.

I believe there was an intention to re-locate the Boulton/Murdoch/Watt statue to Centenary Square but they discovered the ground would not take the weight. Someone may be able to rack down a report.

Hi Betty on the news last night there were four families who were the finalists in a competition to find the family that best represents todays Birmingham , the winning family will be cast in bronze by a famous sculptor and be on on display but I can't remember where or who the sculptor is but the guy from the IKON Gallery is the judge or one of them

Unfortunately, at lunchtime on 17 April 2003, the statue was irreparably damaged, by fire. It was later removed."
I have to say I think the council were quite glad someone set fire to it as I am sure they were embarrassed by it. I was also not displeased when it got taken away because I thought it looked awful.

Probably better that it moved back to it's old spot (outside what is now The House of Sport)

as the land got used for the Library of Birmingham site!

Hello again.I'm beginning to think I am halucinating. Are you really sure that none of you can remember that B. awful statue in Broad Street????? It was somehere near the theatre, well around that area. It was not on a plinth and was only about 5 - 6 ft. high.
I do remember Gordon Astle talking about it on W.M. It created quite a stir at the time.{ Wonder if I can find Gordon Astle to put me out of my misery ????.
Betty

Hello Betty, I'm sure the one you mean is in #3, Viv's picture. It wasn't very tall, and it was a funny colour!! It was opposite the old Register Office where the one in #17 is.
Does that help at all?! We can't have you being miserable!!!
rosie.

That was in Centenary Square, not the Register Office side!

Here is recent view from Centenary Square, of the Enlightenment floral display (with a model of the Edgbaston Waterworks Tower) looking to Boulton, Watt & Murdoch

The burnt sculpture went here (seen in 2009) on this raised platform

Since removed when work to redevelop the REP and built the Library of Birmingham began. Is now flat.

It was somewhere around here

Hello Ellbrown, Spot on !! That was the location. Now if only we can pinpoint the actual statue I keep going on about. GREAT ???
Think I will cancel my appointment with my analyst now. I feel almost human.
Betty

Back