• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

JohnT

Warstock Boy
Hello KPNuts

I got here about 48 hours before you and already I can say you will not be disappointed by joining. A lot of us have family origins around Aston, so you should make some good links and finds. Good luck.

John

Thank you all for your most generous welcome. I can see how this forum can become quite addictive!! I do have access to numerous US and Canadian records, so please let me know if I can help.
KP

Hi K.P,
Welcome to this wonderful site. My best friend from the 60's was Malcolm Phipps, an only child who lived in Witton Road, Aston, opposite the Catholic church. He later worked for Avery scales. Not sure where he is now though.He would be 62 now.
Dave

Hello KP :)

My mothers dad was a signalman for the great southern railway in Ireland, he moved to Canada to become a mountie though i cannot find out anything about him to date, I am curious because he choose the forces when he came back from Canada, he joined twice, going away as mum put it. Mum remembers a red case he had with his military belongings though just cant recall much about it now, He was called John or Jack Allen. Mums Family lived in Enniscorthy in St Aidens Villas, because John was a railwayman they lived in a railway cottage, they moved around quite a lot with the longest period of eleven years spent in Arklow. I will have to get into this research lark now!

Hi KP.

I only joined today (still having problems accessing photos).

I noticed we are both researching the Woodcock's. I am 8th generation Woodcock Brummie myself so hope to find new information of this forum.

Regards

Deacon

Alf, as soon as I have something you guys can get your teeth into I'll let you know;).

Unless of course there is somebody out there that can tell me where my grandads brothers and sisters ended up living?

There was a falling out long ago and my Grandad was the black sheep of his family (but us as grandkids would never accept that, he was one in a million) and they parted ways.

He was Edward Woodcock and married Annie Peers. They lived in the 'back-of's' opposite Winson Green Prison. I remember it well and possibly I am one of the last generation to have a bath, in front of a coal fire:D.

Grandads siblings were Florence, Jack, and Clara. Auntie Clara I knew and she married a Green. He was a big chap but had a heart to match.

Grandads parents were Edward Woodcock and Nellie Harrington.

There, if anyone can give me any details it will be nothing short of a miracle and I would be profoundly grateful.

Thanks for reading.

Deacon

Back