• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Knee

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
Sorry folks, I was in a bit of a quandary, since coming out of hospital I have had problems getting my eMail page, but
after asking for advice on it from the forum about, everyone seeing me back have been asking about the knee, this has
caused people to go off thread for which I apologise. I had the complete replacement, and as Stich says, it is very, very
painful indeed, I think I will wait til 2020 before I have the other one done. I was awake during the operation, you can
hear every sound, bang bang!!, knock knock, Black+decker going etc, the crunch comes when the drugs wear off and the
pain hits you Wham!!I now have the dressings off, and the nurse is coming on Sunday to take out the clips, after which I
should be OK. My sincere thanks to all the kind people who wished me well, and aplologies once again for being off line,(Dont want to upset Postie) God Bless Bernard

wow Bernard ..thats sounds awful ..but can you put any weight on it now ..i am sure it will be worth it in the end..keep us up to date

Bernard, I had mine done at the R.O. Northfield by a leading surgeon Mr S. Carter. I was told to excercise regularly but very gently to start with. If you just allow it to go its own way it will never be very good. The R.O.nurses called every day and gave me different things to do. The first one was to lie on my back and lift my heel off the bed whilst keeping my leg straight. The second one was to raise my knee by bending it and drawing my heel towards my backside whilst keeping the sole of my foot on the bed. Forgive me if you already know all this.

Very brave Bernard, wishing you a speedy recovery,all the best liz

Bernard, lovely to see you back on the forum. Your operation sounds horrible and very painful! I hope you are painfree very soon.
Best wishes
Polly

Bernard, I had mine done at the R.O. Northfield by a leading surgeon Mr S. Carter. I was told to excercise regularly but very gently to start with. If you just allow it to go its own way it will never be very good. The R.O.nurses called every day and gave me different things to do. The first one was to lie on my back and lift my heel off the bed whilst keeping my leg straight. The second one was to raise my knee by bending it and drawing my heel towards my backside whilst keeping the sole of my foot on the bed. Forgive me if you already know all this.
Hi Stich, My late wife Enid had both her knees done at the same time in August 2001, she was a tough cookie, I had the
same comsultant Mr Geutjens, a dapper little man but very good. I understand some hospitals have headphones and you
take your own CDs etc; during the op;My GP came on Tuesday and prescribed some stronger painkillers, codipar but they
have made me constipated, so I am back on paracetamol . My daughter Steffi has had two weeks off to look after me, and
my son Paul and his wife Karen have been really good, they live in Burton which is only eight miles away, my thanks once
again to all the good folk on the forum for their good wishes, bye for now Bernie

Best of luck Bernard! Regards, JohnO
icon14.gif

Hi Bernard sounds like you are going along very well . I think you are very brave to have had that operation while you were still awake. Best wishes with your recovery.

Hi Bernard sounds like you are going along very well . I think you are very brave to have had that operation while you were still awake. Best wishes with your recovery.
Hi dottie, Just came back from taking my little dog out at 8.30 this morning and the nurse was waiting at the door!(Sun) she had a busy day in front
of her, I was her first call. She took the staples out, they use a gun to put them in, so now its all systems go, have told
Nigal Clough I shall be fit for the new season in August? It has been very painful, but you ladies say all men are whimps
dont you. No , I am glad the worse is now over (hopefully), thanks for caring anyway bye Bernie

My wife has just had her second hip replacement done while she was awake....she's 77 and walking with one stick after 8 weeks.
Mike.

Morning Bernard, it is good to see you using it but remember 'little and often' to start with. The pain will improve slowly and as long as you use it will improve. I can actually kneel on mine when I am gardening, although I do use a decent pad from the garden centre. Keep up the determination and you will win.

Back