• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

negatives

josietrue

gone but not forgotten
i have spent most of the day sorting out old photos and came across loads and loads of old negatives from the fifties and sixties
could anybody tell me if it is possible to get them developed and if there is anywhere i could take them to be done
as i would like to know who is on them i know they are family but who with thanks
josie

Find someone who knows there way around a computer..
[video=youtube;aWDqsyT5Los]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWDqsyT5Los[/video]

Hi Brumgum: I was lucky with my old black and white negatives as my husband, a graphic designer, had the light table, camera and photo shop
gear to get some really great prints for me. The custom photo labs can print the negatives as you have posted a link. I think that you can ask them to provide a contact sheet of all your negatives before you decide which ones to print. The contact sheets are good enough to see the photos and it would save money if you didn't want
the lab to go ahead and print all of the negs before you knew which ones you wanted to keep.

I have changed negatives into photo's on my Epsom scanner. It has a facility to scan negatives but, the old oblong 50's ones I had to crop after scanning as they didn't fit as they should. The results have been amazing as well. Here is one of me when I was 2 not bad as the negative is nearly 60 years old. The only damage is it's a bit scratched but I am sure that could be cleaned up with a program like photoshop.

Wendy_age_2.jpg

That's great Wendy. It's obviously cheaper if you can scan the negs yourself and come up with a good result like you have.

I have changed negatives into photo's on my Epsom scanner. It has a facility to scan negatives but, the old oblong 50's ones I had to crop after scanning as they didn't fit as they should. The results have been amazing as well. Here is one of me when I was 2 not bad as the negative is nearly 60 years old. The only damage is it's a bit scratched but I am sure that could be cleaned up with a program like photoshop.

View attachment 88807
:biggrin:nice shot, where was that?.

It was Bournemouth my aunt lived there and had a beach hut on Boscombe beach. We were so lucky we had wonderful holidays there.

If I can just add my fourpence worth my suggestion is to scan them, but buy a decent scanner when you have scanned the negatives you can for the most part improve the photo by using the software that normally comes with a new scanner

i have spent most of the day sorting out old photos and came across loads and loads of old negatives from the fifties and sixties
could anybody tell me if it is possible to get them developed and if there is anywhere i could take them to be done
as i would like to know who is on them i know they are family but who with thanks
josie

thank you horsecart and all
i will show my son your comments as i know nothing about scanning and maybe he will be able to scan them for me
josie

View attachment 88807
Wendy_age_2 c.jpg

For you Wendy, hope you like my attempt at removing the scratches.. please delete if inappropriate to the thread.

Thanks Lindyloo that's a great improvement. I will save that now for my grandchildren to laugh at. x

Hi Josie. If you download Google Picasa (free to download). Scan your black and white negative to your computer.Go to Picasa where the negative will have loaded,click on invert colours and it will convert the neg to a decent pic.moss

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 25
I used a scanner to copy over 3,500 negatives and slides at around £70 it's fairly cheap and easy to use, it plugs direct into a USB port on computer, this is fine for 35mm negs and slides but it is not able to copy the larger 120 negatives (without cutting to size) these will need a scanner capable of scanning 120 and square format negatives I copied my 120's on a friends Epson scanner, as already mentioned using software it's possible to get better results than the original in many cases.

Colin

thank you all for your help i think my son is going to be very busy for the next few months for me
josie

I spent a whole winter scanning old slides and negatives with my Epson scanner. As said, a lot of these scanners come bundled with the software to take out the worst of the scratches and specs. However, if I only had a few to do I'd drop into Jessops or Jacobs with them.

Back