• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Need Help To Identify Birmingham Silver Maker's Mark of J & H, 1802

Richard M.

Greetings from Canada,

I have been searching for the silversmith who created a lovely caddy spoon, with the symbol for the Town Mark of Birmingham, England, the anchor,
Lion Passant, Duty Mark of George III facing right in an oval escutcheon, with the date letter of 'e'. The Maker's Mark is 'J & H'. I cannot seem to find
any name with those initials. Is there an authority on Birmingham makers marks who could assist me? I would be ever so grateful for your help.
Thank you so much! I just verified another beautiful little sterling spoon, 1898, initials of 'GJPF' which are for "Josiah Williams & Co.", in Bristol, and
also London, England. These spoons were given to me by a dear friend of Mr. and Mrs. J. Douglas MacFarlane (my parents), Ernest Bartlett whose mother,
Florence E. Bartlett, came from England. Yours most sincerely, Richard MacFarlane, Toronto, Canada

Attachments

• Caddy Spoon, J & H, 1802, Birmingham, England.jpg
    Caddy Spoon, J & H, 1802, Birmingham, England.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 38
hi richard and welcome...i hope someone can help you to solve the hallmark

I use this site

However, I don't think it says J &H. The left edge of the box for the makers mark is very worn.
Could it be U & H? Unite and Hilliard.
George Unite and James Hilliard

Last edited:
Unfortunately this doesn't add up! George Unite was born in 1798 and worked with James Hilliard from 1825 to 1845. I don't think the date letter is 'e' (1802) (George would have been 4 years old then) and looks more like Q which is 1865.
1865.png
However by 1865 the partnership had been dissolved. On the plus side U & H were listed as producing caddy spoons (but so did many others).

Sorry - not much help!!!

EDIT

On second thoughts the date letter may have been a Q from 1839 with the fine detail in the centre of the Q having disappeared due to overenthusiastic polishing!

1839.png
This would tie in with the dates of the U and H partnership.

Or maybe not!!!

Last edited:
Back