• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells B Power Station

Heartland

master brummie
When the use of steam locomotives finished on British Railways in 1968, local steam operation had effectively ceased in 1966, although some locomotives continued to make the journey to the Tyseley Wheel Lathe. Steam traction still continued on some of the local industrial railways. One was Nechells Power Station where the locomotives made regular trips to Bromford Bridge sidings for coal.

Nechells B was completed in 1954, the opening took place on May 4th, 1954 for the British Electricity Authority, Midlands Division. Construction had started in 1946. Coal was burnt to generate steam which drove the turbines in a vast turbine hall.NechellsPS.jpg

I do rememeber the steam locos at Bromford Bridge sidings, as kids we used to chat to the drivers

Yes, the larger Stephenson & Hawthorn locos handled the bulk of the traffic, although there were a couple of Pecketts, A view of the A Station.....
563021.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos, I was quite fasinated with this power station as a kid, alwasy hanging around it.

Pecketts and similar small industrial locos where everywhere where there was industry. Birmingham had a good many with the large places such as Nechells, Cadbury, Austin and doubtless others. Some can still be seen at a few Heritage lines today.
Few enthusiasts seemed keen to watch and photograph them as the big engines on the main lines were far more accessible. However, steelworks, brickworks, brewers, coal mines, power stations and so on were large users of the little engines..

I agree, Alan, still a bit like adult versions of the trainspotters of my young day, only interested in the "namers"! :)

Whilst not particularly a rail enthusiast, being more interested in the mines and clay pits where they were to be found, quite a few fortunately still survive. I do like to see a little bit of track still existing as evidence of where they once worked.

Maurice

when we lived in nechells, we would go over the frozen cut.and have a look around there. then leg it when the security" pc none" chased us

Back